Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fries

Fries

Did ever tell you guys and girls how I learned to make the best home made fries?
    Tracers work both ways.

Nope.

ne meither
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I do !! I make em real good, how do you make em ?
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

I think this is just an evil plot to get a good recipe. I'll tell you mine, if you tell me yours first.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

It all started when I had a summer job when school let out at McDonalds. This was when hamburgers were 15 cents and they used fresh potatos.
    I didn't know the way they did them was special until I read the way they were made originally.
    They used Idahos. Put in a machine that would rub the skins off and I would squeze them through a cutter one by one.
    But here's the trick. After rincing they would be blanched in 300 - 330 deg oil for about 2 minutes just until they were limp and almost trasnluecent. Then they were put in racks to cool.
    I thought this was just to get ahead of the crowds but no it was a process.
    Cool at least 5 min before the final frying.
    Heat oil to about 365 deg and finish to your color. Don't cover as they will limp out.

This extra step of blanching makes a huge difference.
    Is that how you make them Chick?
    Tracers work both ways.

I need Alton Brown to explain why or I'll never believe it.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I prefer fries that are limp and maybe a bit underdone. I can't stand fries that are so "fried" that they snap in two.

It's amazing how many idiots cook them too long. They hear the beeper going and are too lame ass busy elsewhere to get the the damn fries out of the fryer.

We pay a lot for fries, and now get them overfried.

What brainiac fast food guru exec came up with the idea of crispy fries... that are rediculously over fried?

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    It all started when I had a summer job when school let out at McDonalds. This was when hamburgers were 15 cents and they used fresh potatos.
    I didn't know the way they did them was special until I read the way they were made originally.
    They used Idahos. Put in a machine that would rub the skins off and I would squeze them through a cutter one by one.
    But here's the trick. After rincing they would be blanched in 300 - 330 deg oil for about 2 minutes just until they were limp and almost trasnluecent. Then they were put in racks to cool.
    I thought this was just to get ahead of the crowds but no it was a process.
    Cool at least 5 min before the final frying.
    Heat oil to about 365 deg and finish to your color. Don't cover as they will limp out.

This extra step of blanching makes a huge difference.
    Is that how you make them Chick?
    What do you use to cut?

We have a Vintage Veg-O-Matic and I would prefer a thinner cut.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Ah the good old American food group.. The way I make them is to use only Idaho potatoes. No pealing but do wash em good. I have a commercial potato slicer and I've been told that is the trick, to have very hot oil and don't fry to long. Let stand for a few minutes and then salt. I do not re-fry mine but I might try that next time ..
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

When I make my clam chowder I make sure that the potatoes are uniformly diced. I think it gives it a better flavor.

To dice them, first I send them through the french fry cutter. And then cut them the other way with my chef knife. I got the FF cutter from a restuarant supply house catalogue that was hanging around the shop. Don't waste you money on a cheap one if you want to do some serious FF cutting. The one I have has a case iron frame and is designed to be bolted down.

That's what I've got . Heavy too. But boy they make great fries...
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

I found the recepie again.
    It's in Joy of Cooking under Never fail French Fries
    That's where I learned that Mc D's blanching was part of the process.
    Thinking about it, what I think happens is by removing them from the oil when partly done they are allowed to cook through and are not undercooked inside.
    I would finish with oil not over 330 deg. Makes them too hard.

I used to have a cutter. I wonder where it went. I use one of those Chinese cleavers for almost everything.
    Tracers work both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast