Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Access To Determine Txv Or Md

Post Likes

No Access To Determine Txv Or Md

hello new to doing residential, and i have a herd time figuring out if a coil is txv or md when it is on top of a furnace which has no access panal, and there is nothing marked on casing of coil. i have been guessing MD , should i guess txv if condenser list sc temp, the a/h i do remove cover to look but its the enclosed ones i cant see which i hate guessing at, any help is appriciated

Post Likes
    no access panel....no numbers?...have snips??..charge customer to find out, if they wish to have it repaired properly, If you cant access it that means it has never been checked and probaby can use a cleaning.
    Last edited by obxtech; 07-24-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Post Likes
    I am assuming you dont run into this very often, as most evaporators have removable panels. But it shouldnt be that tough, make a hole and take a peak. be sure to mark it on outside once you have determined what its got. Dont ever assume that you have a txv just because there is a sc chart in the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    obxtech

there is no #s on it i have tried to see, but no markings, i have opened the ones with access panal, i will see what i can figure out next time thanks

antitfun

i do run into this often, unfortunately, it sucks on p/m cuase i cant get to coil makes me wonder how any one checked coil, is it wrong to think if its a brass fitting its md and if its brazed its txv or is that just not true, well thanks

Post Likes
    A TXV is a MD.
    MD= metering device.
    FD= fixed bore metering device, such as an orfice, cap tube, or piston.

If you "assume" your doing the custmer a disfavor.

Some times you have to cut an access to see for sure.

Post Likes
    carry some 10x10 patches and cut a hole above the coil and look down with a mirror and flashlight or a camera like the rigid seesnake.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zombietech66 View Post
    obxtech

there is no #s on it i have tried to see, but no markings, i have opened the ones with access panal, i will see what i can figure out next time thanks

antitfun

i do run into this often, unfortunately, it sucks on p/m cuase i cant get to coil makes me wonder how any one checked coil, is it wrong to think if its a brass fitting its md and if its brazed its txv or is that just not true, well thanks
    What is preventing you access to them. I see very few built into the duct, guess Im glad I work in my area and not yours, And yes some coils do have piston assmblies exterior of the coil case, I assume these are the brass fittings you are talking about.

Post Likes
    Around here there are many evap coils installed with no door on them. They are pitsburged shut. There are still companies doing them that way to save over the cost of a cased coil. I hate how they do it as its very time consuming to check the coil. There ought to be a law!

I also agree that you need to cut a hole to find out which devise you have.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes
    I've seen many a/h out here where access isn't available unless you cut a hole to take a peek. If the system is under a heavy load you can watch the TXV 'hunt' on initial startup.

Barrie

Post Likes
    thanks everyone , i do appriciate it, i will carry some patch stock with me, i hate it when i do p/m and i can not see coil to clean it if it needs it,also thanks beenthere for straitening out my verbage

Post Likes
    If a company has to use an uncased coil, then I think they should field install the TXV on the outside to make it easier for the service tech.

Post Likes
    i agree ryanhughs or write on it txv or fixed orifice

Post Likes
    thanks everyone , i do appriciate it, i will carry some patch stock with me, i hate it when i do p/m and i can not see coil to clean it if it needs it,also thanks beenthere for straitening out my verbage

Why?? that just means more money for accessing and cleaning the coil.

Post Likes
    hello new to doing residential, and i have a herd time figuring out if a coil is txv or md when it is on top of a furnace which has no access panal, and there is nothing marked on casing of coil. i have been guessing MD , should i guess txv if condenser list sc temp, the a/h i do remove cover to look but its the enclosed ones i cant see which i hate guessing at, any help is appriciated
    I run into the same problem around here.

I'm retired but work during the busy season for my old boss doing PM's. When I come up against this I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On the one hand, I hate to take the extra time to cut and patch a hole large enough to clean the coil and check the MD. After all, the boss is making very little if anything on these calls.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm shortchanging the customer by not seeing if the coil needs cleaning and by not knowing what the MD is so that I know how to properly charge the system.

What to do, what to do?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    If a company has to use an uncased coil, then I think they should field install the TXV on the outside to make it easier for the service tech.
    If a company is having to use an uncased coil to save money, I think they need to find another way to save money, and put a cased coil in, It cant be saving them that much, Plus what about the time and material it takes to fab up and cram that coil in the plenum.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mldncx1 View Post
    I run into the same problem around here.

I'm retired but work during the busy season for my old boss doing PM's. When I come up against this I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On the one hand, I hate to take the extra time to cut and patch a hole large enough to clean the coil and check the MD. After all, the boss is making very little if anything on these calls.
    Which is why you find repairs needed and upgrades.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm shortchanging the customer by not seeing if the coil needs cleaning and by not knowing what the MD is so that I know how to properly charge the system.
    You are.if you are doing a preventive maintenance and you overlook the obvious thats not very preventive now is it?

What to do, what to do?
    Perform your maintenance as normal. note all work home owner needs done, like accessing coil, any upgrades that they could benefit from, quote them a price and let them decide if they want to short change themselves.
    Maintenance agreements are a good thing!

Post Likes
    you can pull the blower and look up at the coil to see if it is clean , as for knowing if it is a piston or txv might as well make a access hole

Post Likes
    Doesn't work on 90% furnaces.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Doesn't work on 90% furnaces.
    in your part of the country im sure there are many 90%furnaces in South Texas they are few and far between. As the price of gas goes up im sure they will be come more popular . back to the topic it is bs to install a coil with no access so i will have to agree with obxtech charge them extra to access the coil or check it the best you can without knowing

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    back to the topic it is bs to install a coil with no access so i will have to agree with obxtech charge them extra to access the coil or check it the best you can without knowing
    You have to charge some of teh customers.

Of course if the company someone is working for. Installed the unit in the last year or 2. Charging that customer, could make for an angry customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in