Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ft. Worth Buyer looking for expert opinions on system

Post Likes
    don't get to comfortable with the idea that in the future equipment costs will go down. even if that happens (which is doubtful) energy prices could be wayyyy higher! get the most efficiency you can afford and if energy prices go up you are ahead of the curve.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    Ok. I got the model numbers for the various options...For opt. 1 the A/C unit is a GSC14, option 3 adds the Amana AMV8, and option 4 adds a SSX 16...Any compelling arguments for going up on the option levels based on this information? I asked about the Load Calculations, and was told that the information is calculated by the corporate office, which determines the system type. As far as a heat pump/air handler system, I was told that because the community has gas, they use a furnace, but that the furnace is the blower, and will essential work as an air handling system...Any thoughts? Thanx all!

Also, I went to the Goodman site, and saw a SSX 14 which uses the new refrigerant, should I try for that instead of the GSC14 if I have to go that option?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwrtbuyer View Post
    Ok. I got the model numbers for the various options...For opt. 1 the A/C unit is a GSC14, option 3 adds the Amana AMV8, and option 4 adds a SSX 16...Any compelling arguments for going up on the option levels based on this information? I asked about the Load Calculations, and was told that the information is calculated by the corporate office, which determines the system type. As far as a heat pump/air handler system, I was told that because the community has gas, they use a furnace, but that the furnace is the blower, and will essential work as an air handling system...Any thoughts? Thanx all!

Also, I went to the Goodman site, and saw a SSX 14 which uses the new refrigerant, should I try for that instead of the GSC14 if I have to go that option?

I can't recommend what is best for you but I can verify that the AMV8 will serve as both gas heat (either primary or AUX) and will also serve as the air handler for the HP or A/C. I have the AMV8 and I really like it. It is quiet and very adjustable depending on your needs. Where you are, if you go heat pump, your AMV8 would be providing very little heat during the winter.

Like I said before, I cannot comment on what is the best financial choice for you, but the ASZ16 and AMV8 will provide you a nice, quiet, and very comfortable house. I'm not recommending it over the other options. I'm just saying I really like it and can't say anything bad about the system.

Post Likes
    After plenty of research and switching back and forth between my options...I've decided to go w/ the 2nd level. The 14 SEER Goodman condenser/furnace/coil system w/ the IAQ media filter and Honeywell T8000 t-stat. I've come to this conclusion because...The 14 SEER Goodman condenser/furnace/coil is being supplied by the builder at no extra cost to me, and I feel that the system would do well to have at the very least the upgraded t-stat and IAQ...It's a cheap addition, so why not. Also, from reading numerous threads, one single theme seems to hold true: the sytem itself is not as important as the contractor who installs it...And since I am limited to the builders HVAC contractor, and cannot verify the workmanship that will be utlized in developing my home system; I feel that I'd rather go the free route, and find out I need to upgrade/fix my system later due to potentially poor workmanship, rather than spending $$$ now to find out it was installed improperly later. The best system in the world will perform poorly if not installed properly...

Simply put, if the install is emaculate, then the system should work perfectly for my needs, and last 10-15 years before needing to be replaced by the r410a standard. If the install fails in any way over the next few years, I won't feel like I threw my money away to a contractor I had no choice in using. I'll be able, at that point, to find multiple contractors, compare quotes, refrences, ect. and ultimately get the service I choose to pay the extra money for knowing then that its money well spent.

Thanx to everyone for your input on this matter. Hopefully, everything turns out fine...I'll keep y'all posted.

Post Likes
    Whatever outdoor units you decide to go with, absolutely go with variable speed blowers in the indoor equipment, definitely worth it.

Post Likes
    If this home is not a leaker, I suggest a provision for fresh air be made. At a minimum, you need a 100 cfm of fresh air in this home to purge indoor pollutants when you are present. You should also have a way to keep the home dry during wet cool weather. The simplest method to do this is a ventilating dehumidifier. Most posters on this site avoid fresh air because of the difficulty of maintaining <50%RH during wet, cool weather. They do not realize the long term health effects of living in pollutant loaded air. ASHRAE, American Lung Ass. and the EPA are suggesting fresh air ventilation for these much tighter new homes. Disregard in not interested. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    You can get an 14 seer Amana heat pump with a variable speed blower.
    Definitely get a cost analysis of higher seer systems vs. lower. It may not be worth
    the money.

Do you have nat. gas there ? If not, propane is too expensive, same with resistance (elect) heat - go with heat pump.

Adam

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    The most important part of any HVAC system is the house it goes in.
    I also live in Fort Worth.
    I have 4,000 sq. ft. of conditioned space and it only requires one 2 ton heat pump to cool the whole house.

Put the air handler and duct work in conditioned space.
    Add shade for all of the windows in the summer. Avoid East and West facing windows as much as possible.
    Air seal the house! - control infiltration.
    Paul makes my point. First, do what you can to reduce the heat-gain!

Money spent reducing the heat-gain will usually get the best payback.
    There is a fair amount of heating days in the fort worth area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in