Thread: Electric vs LP

Electric vs LP

I'm getting ready to have my broken fuel oil boiler replaced. I was leaning towards LP but am now seriously considering electric. The rates in my area are $2.39 per gallon for LP and $.075 per kw/h for electric. If the boiler wasn't broken, I would consider running both oil and electric to get the dual fuel electric rate of $.0375 per kw/h. Just to be safe, I'm estimating that electricity costs may go up to $.09 in an upcoming rate increase planned for next spring. Even at that rate, though, electric appears to be less expensive than LP. Natural gas in not available to me (yet... it's less than a mile away though).

Does anyone have experience with Electro Industries? They're made in MN, so I like that since I'm a MN native.

Would it make sense to plumb and prep for dual fuel now but only have electric? Then, as electric rates climb I can drop in an inexpensive fuel oil boiler later to qualify for the lower rate?

As a comparison on 100,000 BTUs delivered into the house:

82% LP boiler: $3.19
    95% LP furnace: $2.75
    straight electric boiler: $1.98

I suppose you could have it piped for adding another fuel boiler later.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    As a comparison on 100,000 BTUs delivered into the house:

82% LP boiler: $3.19
    95% LP furnace: $2.75
    straight electric boiler: $1.98

I suppose you could have it piped for adding another fuel boiler later.
    There's also reverse cycle chillers like unico's unichiller, which provides hot and cold water at a COP north of 2 point something (halving the fuel rate cost). Only makes "low temp" water though (~125 def F) - but that's OK under part load, which is usually the majority of the heating season. You would need a dual fuel setup for back up heat right away with this, however. Unless you used electric resistance boiler to pick up where the teh reverse cycle chiller leaves off...hmmm.... getting complicated quick...