Confused YJ XLT Purge Feature

The boss purchased a new XLT recovery machine last week and I got to test it out today. Sucked down an old Comfort Aire (17 lbs R-22) and then shut off nicely like it's supposed to. Only problem is I can't get it to purge.

The YJ website has a video showing the system going down to vacuum when the purge feature is used; but after equalizing mine just sits around 75 psi low and 150 psi high. If I turn it off, it will equalize to 150 psi.

What am I doing wrong?

are you closing the low side valve. thats what i do on mine... ( mine is not a yj but i dont think it makes a difference)

Yup.. low side is closed. Just the line on the unit discharge going to the liquid valve of the tank.

Can't say for sure with that unit.

I know on mine (not sure which one I have either), it won't pump everything down (out of the machine) unless the suction knob is in the off position
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Thumbs up

I have that recovery machine. After recovery, turn the power switch to OFF. Then turn switch to Purge (don't have to close your manifold valves as the recovery machine does it internally). Turn power switch to ON. It will purge and shut off again when it hits 10" Hg. If it doesn't start when you turn the switch to ON, turn back OFF and let sit for about 30 seconds so pressures can equalize.

I love that new machine!! Fast operation!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybirde View Post
    I have that recovery machine. After recovery, turn the power switch to OFF. Then turn switch to Purge (don't have to close your manifold valves as the recovery machine does it internally). Turn power switch to ON. It will purge and shut off again when it hits 10" Hg. If it doesn't start when you turn the switch to ON, turn back OFF and let sit for about 30 seconds so pressures can equalize.

I love that new machine!! Fast operation!
    yah, it's a sweet little unit, but I've tried what you suggested and it doesn't work. After the pressures equalize I switch the unit on and the low side gauge drops to about 75, but the high side guage stays at 150. The low side will jump around but doesn't get below 75. If I switch it to vapor or liquid, the low side will go into vacuum and shortly shut off, but the high side remains at 150.

- I have the liquid valve on my recovery tank open
    - the suction port on the recovery unit is capped
    - I have a hose on the discharge port going to the liquid valve

wtf?

I would take it back under warranty. I know you'll probably get stuck with the crappy recovery machine for awhile until it's fixed, but that doesn't sound right. Or you could try and call their support number and see if they can tell you anything? Hope mine doesn't do that!!