Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier leaky coils

I got this long time customer with a Carrier air handler.(Trane outside)

Since 2002 I've put in 3 evaporator coils. Now its leaking again.

I sold the customer a new system.(Lennox)

All exposed copper in the attic is black.

Have any of you pros seen this before???? What might be the risk to the new unit??? OR, is this just a Carrier thing????.......I have seen this alot out of Carrier but not this bad..

Thanks!!

Well water?

Pretty sure he is, not 100% though.

House is on the lake. No swimming pool.

If the house doesn't smell like sewer gas. I'd be looking at sulfar gas from the ground water. We have areas of the county that have higher than normal coil failures and it's from the sulfar in the ground water. sprinklers just have to atomize the gas not even wet the coil. It can go up soffits, and it they use it in the house it will be everywhere.

I checked a york unit the other day, the suction line where it entered the evap coil was missing the arma flex inso for a short distance was black, in another spot the arma flex was missing and the copper was black there also. The unit was low on refrigerant, the evap coil was in bad shape, all return bends, feeder tubes and suction header was black. (evap had multiple leaks). The liquid line and all exposed copper outside looked like you would expect 10yr old copper to look. They have sulpher water, I have heard others mention it as well that the sulpher is the culprit. The evap coil had been replaced also. Another thing they mentioned was that there washing machine tub rotted out rather quickly.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ISOTHERMAL View Post
    I checked a york unit the other day, the suction line where it entered the evap coil was missing the arma flex inso for a short distance was black, in another spot the arma flex was missing and the copper was black there also. The unit was low on refrigerant, the evap coil was in bad shape, all return bends, feeder tubes and suction header was black. (evap had multiple leaks). The liquid line and all exposed copper outside looked like you would expect 10yr old copper to look. They have sulpher water, I have heard others mention it as well that the sulpher is the culprit. The evap coil had been replaced also. Another thing they mentioned was that there washing machine tub rotted out rather quickly.
    they need a water treatment company.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    they need a water treatment company.
    I agree.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Thanks for the info. I couldn't get in touch with the customer today. Will post back tomorrow.

Not on a well

I talked with the customer today. Hes on city water. No well!

This guy is a fishing guide. He makes his own lures. Out of lead.

He heats the lead and casts fishing spoons. Could this have anything to do

with his leaky coils? I'm starting to think this is just a Carrier

thing.

A gentleman called me after being refferd to. His story went like this.
    He has had multiple indoor coil failures in his home. He has two systems which he replaced one of the indoor units to a differnt brand after repeated failures. The installing company has done all the service they will do until he determines what is killing the coils. Different manufacturers with multiple failures in the same house. His silverware tarnishes rapidly also. The gentleman is even taking and placing silverware in neighbors homes that haven't had the a/c problems he's had and the silverware does not tarnish.

If it's a manufacturer coil problem they just look like a/c coils, if it's corrision of some kind the coppr will be all black maybe even with some tourtise like reflections in the sun light. Reduced air flow for long periods of time will show as excessivive rusting on the galvanized end plates. HTH

No sewer gas smell correct? Sprinkler sytem?

A gentleman called me after being refferd to. His story went like this.
    He has had multiple indoor coil failures in his home. He has two systems which he replaced one of the indoor units to a differnt brand after repeated failures. The installing company has done all the service they will do until he determines what is killing the coils. Different manufacturers with multiple failures in the same house. His silverware tarnishes rapidly also. The gentleman is even taking and placing silverware in neighbors homes that haven't had the a/c problems he's had and the silverware does not tarnish.

If it's a manufacturer coil problem they just look like a/c coils, if it's corrision of some kind the coppr will be all black maybe even with some tourtise like reflections in the sun light. Reduced air flow for long periods of time will show as excessivive rusting on the galvanized end plates. HTH

No sewer gas smell correct? Sprinkler sytem?

No sewer smell, and no sprinkler system.

Customer said he had a 25 yr old Carrier system before we put in the one he has now. The drain pan rusted through is the reason he changed it out.
    Maybe the older a/h had thicker copper. Newer coils are thinner.

I know something is causing the leaky coils. All exposed copper is black in the attic, None is black outside.

I would like to give him an answer or at least point him in the right direction.

We install the new system next week. Going from R-22 to R-410a.

I hope the new coil doesn't get ate up!!!!

can you get the tinned coil?

can you get the tinned coil?
    Never heard of it. Not sure its an option on Lennox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast