Thread: Goodman or American Standard or Carrier

Post Likes

Goodman or American Standard or Carrier

I'm new to this community but have been reading very similar posts on the archives (which are somewhat dated) as to whether a Goodman condenser and evaporator unit compares to either American Standard or Carrier. Sounds like lots of people do not prefer Goodman, but others say that it doesn't matter which brand, it's all about good installation. I live in Houston, TX and use the AC 8-9 months out of the year, usually alot. I got several quotes today for 14 Seer 5 ton systems and Goodman is the cheapest, American Standard the most expensive. The Goodman guy stated that Goodman's units were crap and unreliable 10 years ago, but that it's top of the line today.

I am now thoroughly confused as to whether I should go with Goodman or Carrier or American Standard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by kengal; 07-22-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Post Likes
    First, talking about brands and installation here is allowed but not specific prices, so before others tell you this I thought I'd let you know.

You've are correct. Installation is the critical issue now. Most brands will do fine if installed properly. Most air conditioners use similar or identical parts and if properly installed and sized will cool a home just fine.

Which contractor did a load calculation to determine sizing? Which contractor discussed solutions to address your comfort issues if you had any? Which contractor looked at the ductwork? You need to find the best contractor who will be the most thorough in addressing your areas of concern should you have any.

Please post the specific model numbers you were quoted.

Post Likes
    Go with the one that will give you the best install and makes you feel comfortable. the Brand is secondary to the installation. Either brand will work fine I have used All 3 with no problems.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your quick reply. And also thanks for letting me know re not quoting specific prices. As far as I could tell, most of the contractors did a quick and dirty load calculation...they asked me the square footage of our house (2700 sq ft) and what we currently have (a 14 year old Carrier condenser and an equally old evaporator). Based on that information, I was told I'd need at least a 4 ton unit. None of the contractors have actually come to the house to look at the ducts, and I did not get any specific model numbers. I asked for both 14 and 15 SEER prices and they all told me that there is not a significant difference in efficiency between the 14 and 15. I feel like I need to upgrade because I have a freon leak and most of the contractors told me that because of the age of my current units, it would not be worth it to fix the leak (i.e. put a bandaid on a gushing wound). I have no idea how accurate this is.

Post Likes
    I would say if if none of the three took the time to come out and look at the system call someone else to come out and evaluate your comfort needs, and provide you with solutions to those needs. also if it has a "gushing wound" they should be able to locate it. although you are thinking on the right track on upgrading due to the age, But if the leak is in the lineset and it is not changed then you still have the same problem as before.

Post Likes
    I agree you can't just go with well that's what you had therefore that's what we'll replace it with mentality. While your current square footage to ton-age ratio isn't out of whack, you really need someone that will come in and perform the load calc before they start quoting you. Ask for that specifically. Going from a 14 yo system to a new system needs a good look at your setup.

You've also not stated what unit you have.

When you get the new quotes, post a new thread with your current system model #s and the various quote options. The pros on this forum could then give you some idea of the best path.

Installation is key. My guess is if you find someone that will do a comprehensive look at your current system and needs they will also do a good installation (IMHO).

Post Likes
    Being you live in Texas, I would go with the higher end units with a higher SEER since you run your AC 8 to 9 months a year.
    I love the Goodman guys, they will say anything. Goodman is no better then the middle of the road straight forward units available today. A lot of guys push these units because the margins are better than with other brands.
    Both Carrier and AM Std are good units also.
    FYI, if you go with the XLI Trane system, you will get a full 10 year warranty on all parts including the thermostat, etc when installed as a system, and 2 years of labor warranty. You can up the labor portion with a maintenance contract offered by Trane.
    Even though AM Std and Trane are basically the same, the warranties are different.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kengal View Post
    I'm new to this community but have been reading very similar posts on the archives (which are somewhat dated) as to whether a Goodman condenser and evaporator unit compares to either American Standard or Carrier. Sounds like lots of people do not prefer Goodman, but others say that it doesn't matter which brand, it's all about good installation. I live in Houston, TX and use the AC 8-9 months out of the year, usually alot. I got several quotes today for 14 Seer 5 ton systems and Goodman is the cheapest, American Standard the most expensive. The Goodman guy stated that Goodman's units were crap and unreliable 10 years ago, but that it's top of the line today.

I am now thoroughly confused as to whether I should go with Goodman or Carrier or American Standard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Like you I live in Texas and really get to enjoy those 100 degree days.

Be sure to get a unit that is good for removing humidity. I, for one, vote for Goodman/Amana as I just purchased a new HVAC this spring. The unit works very well and the warranty is very good (pardon the pun). I don't have any problems getting the house down from 80 to 75 and cooler if I want. The new unit will get the temps down in an hour instead of all evening. Also, it's much more efficient.

Like the others stated make sure to get a good installer that way no matter what unit you purchase will do a god job of providing comfort. Cooling isn't the only thing. If the new unit can't remove all the humidity on those hot Houston summer days.

Best of Luck ...

Post Likes
    Since you run the a/c 3/4 of the year, I would go with the highest EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) that you can get. Note that I wrote EER and not SEER. In Houston, you don't have the fantasy cooling season that is represented by SEER.

An EER of 12 minimum is what you should be looking for regardless of SEER. In my opinion, a 14 SEER / 12 EER provides the best combination of purchase price and true operating costs. If $$ are not an issue, then go for the 16+ SEER as long as the EER is 12 minimum.

Additionally, you want a system that provides full cooling btu's. Example: a 3-ton system should provide 36,000 btus of cooling, not 33,000. Some systems are weak on btus.

Good luck.

Post Likes

Is there a dedicated website that gives EER

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Since you run the a/c 3/4 of the year, I would go with the highest EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) that you can get. Note that I wrote EER and not SEER. In Houston, you don't have the fantasy cooling season that is represented by SEER.

An EER of 12 minimum is what you should be looking for regardless of SEER. In my opinion, a 14 SEER / 12 EER provides the best combination of purchase price and true operating costs. If $$ are not an issue, then go for the 16+ SEER as long as the EER is 12 minimum.

Additionally, you want a system that provides full cooling btu's. Example: a 3-ton system should provide 36,000 btus of cooling, not 33,000. Some systems are weak on btus.

Good luck.
    ratings for most of HP and A/C's

Post Likes
    Thank you all for your replies! So a few more specifics--both 5 ton units:

The Carrier 14 SEER model is the 24ACA4--their Comfort series with R410A, and a 10 year compressor, 5 year parts and 1 year labor warranty.

The American Standard 14 SEER model is the 4A7A4060C--their Allegiance 14 series with R410A, similar warranty as Carrier.

There's a significant difference in price between both these systems, which is making me lean toward the Carrier especially reading a lot of your comments regarding getting a good installer. Some of the quotes I got for the Carrier 14 SEER were low but because they were quoting me for their Base model series--any significant difference in the 24ABA vs. the 24ACA?

I've basically given up on Goodman.

Y'alls opinions would be much appreciated.

Post Likes
    5 tons is a lot of cooling, though your home may require it. How was sizing determined? Based on a load calculation and making sure your ductwork can handle 5 tons hopefully? Or just guessing based on square footage and/or looking at the previous size?

The Comfort series has better coil protection and high and low pressure switches standard.

Post Likes
    14 Seer may be a good combination purchase price in some parts of the country but being you want humidity removal , and run 8 to 9 months a year the payback on higher effeciency units will take a lot less then has been mentioned.
    If I were you I would go for at least a 16 SEER 2 stage unit with variable speed airhandler. Once you remove the humidity to some low level you can keep the set point up higher, since low humidty at 79 degrees feels cooler then 76 degree setpoint at a higher humidity.

I live in SE Fla and have a 19 seer unit that has phenominal humidty removal capability due to it's two stage and variable air handler. It was the best purchase I have mnade for my house. I keep the setpoint at 79 , and most who come in can' t believe it's 79 degrees! Along with no hot spots in the house due to less cycling, and I am enjoying the lower KW useage to boot!

Personnel expierence, since my climate is similar to yours. Don't skimp, get what you can really afford. Comfort is what it is all about, not just coolness.

I also suggest you get a sizing done not just someone with a finger in the air, or just rerplacing the size for size. Get it done right.

Post Likes
    Lennox also has some very nice systems

Post Likes
    Thanks again for all your informative comments. I decided to go with the Carrier 14 SEER comfort model after a couple of the contractors came in and did a load calculation. I'm going with the 5 ton as recommended. Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in