Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If I have my gauges on a system. I can tell fairly easy if their is a restriction in the high side of the condenser or after it.

If your tech wasn't sure. You could be paying for needless guess work, and parts changing.
    well, my tech *thinks* that it's in the evaporator or the strainer placed ahead of it. I would have appreciated the technical arguments, but they weren't sure.
    If he opens the system and it's the strainer, I'd have to foot the bill for labor and parts (new strainer and filter). If the strainer is not clogged, he'll bring in new evaporator coil from the manufacturer (in warranty). All this is dandy, but fails to address quality of their work. In my mind, if the evaporator failed due to manufacturer's defect, that's one thing, but if either strainer or evaporator got clogged due to solder getting loose (often invoked, albeit brazed joints were used) or corrosion due to humidity, or mixed oils, etc., to me that sounds like an installation issue, and their reputation should be on the line. Thus far, they regarded loose solder as an act of God, that is nobody's fault.

Loose braze/solder, a possibility. But one piece doesn't clog a filter, unless its a large piece.
    And seldom causes a unit to trip the HP switch.

Mixed Min and Poe oil won't cause corrosion.
    Moisture in the oil can.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Is this a TXV system? If so the TXV may be defective.

Or it could be much simpler then that.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmac View Post
    Is this a TXV system? If so the TXV may be defective.
    I was told it's a piston controlled (not sure whether this answers the question or not).

Hmm ...end of saga (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If I have my gauges on a system. I can tell fairly easy if their is a restriction in the high side of the condenser or after it... You could be paying for needless guess work, and parts changing.
    I had another tech come by. He measured the pressures and said that the pressure in the entire system was too high, sign of overcharge. I forgot to mention earlier that the first guy first added refrigerant (he failed to write it on the invoice though), before he gave the "restriction" diagnosis. The second tech removed 3lbs of R410, and now it's working like a charm (knock in wood).

In hindsight, it appears that the first tech (from the dealer!... and a senior one to that), overcharged the system, and was subsequently asking for work to change evaporator, etc. to remove the "restriction". I had to pay the second tech some $$$ for removal of refrigerant and labor. If this is right, does it fall under incompetence, sabotage, or con job?

Quote Originally Posted by pittnewbie View Post
    If this is right, does it fall under incompetence, sabotage, or con job?
    Could be any of those 3.

You may want to use this second company from now on.

But, what you should do. Is inform the first company of what was discovered.
    Not to burn the tech. But so that the company knows they need to do something about training their people. Often times, the company can be a bit near sighted, and doesn't realize that their techs, are not as proficient as they should be.
    Contractor locator map

Just a thought; if there turns out to be trash in the piston/screen, that would fall back on a poor install. If this is the company that did the install, I would think they would not want to be taking credit for a bad install by charging to fix a problem created by the installation.

Not that I have any clue as to whether this particular problem has anything to do with the install, but the things that the tech is coming up with are incriminating against the company he works for.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by pittnewbie View Post
    In hindsight, it appears that the first tech (from the dealer!... and a senior one to that), overcharged the system, and was subsequently asking for work to change evaporator, etc. to remove the "restriction". I had to pay the second tech some $$$ for removal of refrigerant and labor. If this is right, does it fall under incompetence, sabotage, or con job?
    I don't think your experience is uncommon. I had something very similar happen to me.

ME:

"4. Isn't this some kind of self-rewarding bad behaviour going on here? A tech adds refrigerant, comes back with the capacitor, problems persist, hey, system's old (yes), leaking refrigerant (not really), throwing breakers (overfull), you need a complete new system... ?"

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=169619

The problem here, is some techs and companies are getting rewarded by their own ignorance, and most homeowners don't have the knowledge to call them on it.

-HF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12