Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warranty and ownership?

A local reputable company installed new A/C in the house, 3 years ago: compressor warranty 10 years, parts 5 years, and labor 1 year. I bought the house couple of months ago, and the A/C keeps shutting off due to high pressure (the tech from the same company that installed the system couldn't tell whether there is a constriction in the condenser coil, evaporator, or the lines).

Long story short, they're telling me that I'm not covered by the manufacturer warranty (5 years for parts), because the contract was signed with the old owner. I've heard that before for the no-name mufflers that Midas installs, but this sounds like a lame excuse for a piece of equipment that's was a $3000+ to install. Any advice appreciated.

Depends on the manufacturer. Some warranties are transferable and some are not. A restriction does not always mean a part has gone bad. Refrigerant is not always concidered a part.
    Its a good Life!

Thanks, m_kilgore.

Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    Depends on the manufacturer. Some warranties are transferable and some are not.
    Before I make an ass of myself, how can I find out whether the warranty was transferable or not? The only thing stated on the receipt that the prior owner had was the number of warranty years.

Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    A restriction does not always mean a part has gone bad. Refrigerant is not always considered a part.
    IMO, a system could break down due to faulty parts, bad design, installation, (lack) of recommended maintenance, abuse, or old age (wear and tear). Of all these, a restriction in a closed-circuit like this can be due to only the first 3 reasons listed. The first two should go under manufacturer's warranty, while for the third it's only the reputation of the installer on the line (labor warranty being expired).

Do you have the warranty certificate? It may state on there whether it is transferable or not. Also, many warranties require proof of yearly maintenance to remain in effect.
    As previous poster pointed out, refrigerant generally isn't considered a part.
    Last edited by mrs reb77; 07-23-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

If you do not have the warranty certificate, many are available on-line.
    Who is manufacturer and model?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Restriction can also come from abuse if one of the lines is hit or smashed.

You need to call the company and request a different tech as a competent tech can tell where the restriction is by using some very simple tests.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Thanks mrs reb.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Do you have the warranty certificate? It may state on there whether it is transferable or not. Also, many warranties require proof of yearly maintenance to remain in effect.
    By warranty certificate do you mean the (last) page in equipment's manual detailing what the warranty (does not) cover ("Warranty Conditions")? Mine states that warranty is void if the unit is moved (!), but doesn't mention any ownership transfer clause.

Manufacturer and #

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    If you do not have the warranty certificate, many are available on-line.
    Who is manufacturer and model?
    Bryant 550ANX042
    A-coil: CC5A

Quote Originally Posted by plain spoken
    Restriction can also come from abuse if one of the lines is hit or smashed.
    Lines are short (10-15ft max) and appear in good shape. The tech tested tested the system and identified only that the restriction is between compressor and evaporator coil (could be evaporator, condenser, strainer, etc.)

Yes, that's the one.
    As mentioned, the restriction source needs to be found before you actually would know if it is a warranty situation anyway. That alone is worth discussing with the company, then go from there.

If the tech was any good, its easy to eliminate if the restriction is in the condenser coil.

http://www.bryant.com/support/warranty.shtml
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If the tech was any good, its easy to eliminate if the restriction is in the condenser coil.
    Beenthere, thanks for the link. I hope the tech is good, since I cannot second-guess him or tell him what to do (he being the professional, not me). The day my unit initially broke down (or at least when I start observing the symptoms), I had another tech look at it, all by accident (he was servicing that day the A/C of the neighbor across the street, so I had him take a look). He didn't have PURON pressure gauges, but based on how quickly the return line was cooling between 2 cut-offs by the high pressure switch and the high temp of the line entering the condenser (but not that hot for the pipe leaving from the condenser to the evaporator), he diagnosed a restriction in the condenser.
    I would have liked the tech from company that installed the system to consider the same cues (line temperatures), but he didn't, and I didn't push him to do it (again, since he's the pro).

Currently, the

If I have my gauges on a system. I can tell fairly easy if their is a restriction in the high side of the condenser or after it.

If your tech wasn't sure. You could be paying for needless guess work, and parts changing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The warranty on your equipement is still good, no problems with being a new owner. That being said, as mentioned earlier until the restriction is found (if there is one) there is no way to know if it is an equipment issue or not. Temperatures MUST be taken, along with other measurements, in order to determine the real problem and the location if it is a restriction. It does not sound like either of the two you had look at it used the proper techniques for determining the real issue. Get someone else to look at it, you are just wasting time until you do.
    Last edited by plain spoken; 07-23-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast