Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PDs would have to be measured to know that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    PDs would have to be measured to know that.
    I guess it's time to get someone back out with a drill and a pressure gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by obxtech View Post
    If this duct is lined you could have a loose piece of liner blocking the air flow. (wont hurt to look)
    I totally missed that the first time around. That return trunk is actually lined. I never knew it, just noticed that when they had a piece of it open during the install. I'm guessing the installer would have a camera or something to look in there? (Or maybe there's an easy way to take an end off to look down the whole thing? I've never looked!) Is it common to have that stuff come loose? That return line was probably put in ~20 years ago.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkiechris View Post
    Hmmm, I'd be VERY happy if I have another problem, lol. It's a CleanEffects filter, according to the specs from the installer manual it should be creating a .19" PD at 1200 CFM. I don't have actual measurements for before/after the filter, but I can ask for those. Are CleanEffects known to cause higher PD than their stats suggest? (It should still be very clean, it's had less than 10 days of runtime since its installation.)

Actual CFM hasn't been measured, but according to the blower performance data, at .9" it would be pushing 1130CFM (when set to 1200.)

The return elbow does have turning vanes, I saw them in there before they installed.
    What did the vanes look like?The elbow going into the filter is critical ,as turbulence there will increase the PD of the filter.

Vanes would need to be custom made for that elbow ,and if not alignned properly ,could make it worse.

I'd want a larger return drop,so that the elbow would be larger going into the filter,as well as correcting the connection to the horiz. return trunk ,withe vanes.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    What did the vanes look like?The elbow going into the filter is critical ,as turbulence there will increase the PD of the filter.
    Hmmm...hard to describe. I've attached two pics. One is my fantastic artistic rendering of how they were angled. They were actually in a little "rack" that was attached to the inside of the ell. In the second pic I've highlighted the screws that hold them in place, so you can see where they're placed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Here's an example of Radius vanes,this elbow doesn't change sizes from entry to exit as yours does,so yours would be a little different.

If your vanes are flat,likely worse then none at all.

Your radius elbow has no inside ,just and outside radius isn't much better then no radius at all.

If your vanes are made and installed in the elbow properly,then you are better off then no vanes at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ahhhh, that's a MUCH nicer elbow than mine, lol. I *think* the vanes had a little bit of an angle to them, like a 2-3" piece of metal with maybe a 45 degree angle or so in the middle. I honestly wasn't paying too much attention as at that point I didn't realize there were good and bad versions, lol. I was just happy they were using an elbow with something in it! But they definitely were not curved.

I'm going to see about getting additional pressure readings in the drop before the elbow, in the curved portion of the horizontal cutover, and in the trunk as it splits out. Try to determine where the pressure increase is happening....

You'll want one atfter the filter and just before the elbow going into the filter,to see how much static is being consumed to get the air thru there.

Okay, so I pulled the CleanEffects and stuck my head in there, the turning vanes aren't curved per se, but they do have four angles in them forming a curve, more or less. So better than I thought I suppose.

I was able to get pressure measured in the drop before the ell and the filter, and in the horizontal ell in the ceiling, after it leaves the return trunk but before the connection to the drop. I'm at .12" in that horizontal ceiling ell, then .4" in the drop, and of course .65" after the filter. So it's a .25" drop for the last ell with the turning vanes and the cleaneffects, which doesn't seem bad since the CE is most of that. It seems like my problem is in that transition from the horizontal piece to the vertical drop, where it goes from .12 to .4?

take static on return side and supply side , the high number is the problem side

Yes, thats a very restrictive horizonat to vertical transition.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by skunkiechris View Post
    Okay, so I pulled the CleanEffects and stuck my head in there, the turning vanes aren't curved per se, but they do have four angles in them forming a curve, more or less. So better than I thought I suppose.

I was able to get pressure measured in the drop before the ell and the filter, and in the horizontal ell in the ceiling, after it leaves the return trunk but before the connection to the drop. I'm at .12" in that horizontal ceiling ell, then .4" in the drop, and of course .65" after the filter. So it's a .25" drop for the last ell with the turning vanes and the cleaneffects, which doesn't seem bad since the CE is most of that. It seems like my problem is in that transition from the horizontal piece to the vertical drop, where it goes from .12 to .4?
    Right on target!

I'd still replace the elbow and vanes going into the filter.Less static,equals less operating cost,and even flow across that filter increases it's efectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I'd still replace the elbow and vanes going into the filter.Less static,equals less operating cost,and even flow across that filter increases it's efectiveness.
    You think it's possible to get it much below .25 for that elbow & filter? Enough so to make it worth it?

Thanks!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast