Manitowac SY0505W

At the Coke plant where I work we have a Manitowac SY0505W water cooled ice maker. This morning when it started a cycle I noticed a hammering or ticking sound. I went back to take a look and it sounded like water hammering or a valve-solenoid "fluttering" If I partially close the water valve to the machine it quits but did start again a few minutes later. Can anyone tell me what to look for? Would it be the water solenoid? Thanks for the help.
    ccnova

Water cooled manitowacs have this problem when they have a high water pressure feed. When they go into harvest the water valve throttles down fast, and when the next cycle starts the valve opens wide, then hunts. Both can cause a water hammer.

Try installing a water regulating valve, and set it to around 35 psi. That seems to work for me.

If this doesn't work, a new regulating valve might be needed.

Good luck!
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

If the pressure isn't out of sight do ya need someone to handle the warranty for ya
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

ccnova -

Which Coke plant do you work in?

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by ccnova View Post

At the Coke plant where I work . . . .
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Thanks for the replies everyone! baub I never thought about it but I bet you are right. We no longer bottle here but because we once did there are larger than normal water lines feeding the entire plant. If I remember right I think we have about 65 lbs of pressure everywhere. We will install a regulator and see what happens. Poodle Head Mikey, I work for Coca-Cola in Mitchell South Dakota. And itsiceman if we do I will move your name to the top of the list! Again thanks for the help everyone.
    ccnova

You should not hammer at 65 psi

To bad I just blew through Nebraska

I would have it changed

Good Luck
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”