Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I wasn't tying to be cute or antagonistic with anyone here.

Can I ask? My short run of flex duct to my living room register from the plenum is so darn short...just an elbow and 12" of flex duct to the register box.
    You can practically hear the blower motor running and stick your arm down the plenum..lol.

Would this be a solution? Put an elbow on the plenum going the opposite direction, then "mosey" a 12' flex duct back to that register box.

Would that not tend to decrease the noise of the existing duct being in such close proximity from plenum to duct box?

I think I might just settle for that if you guys think it would help. My main concern is noise at that register box. I thought the rush of air was an issue too, but I may just drop that as a concern. Also...dealing with a one floor condo with small HVAC closet in the hall probably isn't the easiest thing to remedy with regards to noise. I may just live with it. It's not terrible.
    I didn't mean to get so obsessed with it. Sorry.

It might reduce the noise by 2 decibels.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'd have to agree. Not much difference.

Failure to understand : "CASlON"

Noise issues are a failure in design, installation, or equipment.(quote). As some one in this tread suggested . Beenthere already pointed out the facts of airflow . Noise is :"air coming out of the registers" .
    The small registers for the airflow of the flex will be noisy, "if" not properly sized .
    Its just like an GOOD stereo system , where you don't hear the "hiss" or distortion from the radio,CD. It all depends on the speakers too.
    In this case you're speakers are hissing . Its a very good way to the terms that you understand .
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post
    I guess ya got me. What a pro!
    What the hell is this supposed to mean....

Ya wanna know MY routine. Its very simple.

Upon arrival at customers house. I take a few moments to fill out time card and start invoice with time in, name, address, date, phone number. Then I double-check the customers name so I remember it when I get to the door.

I grab my Dewalt 18V Flashlight, put a small notebook in my back pocket and proceed to the door. I greet the HO or customer with a handshake and introduce myself.

Then the customer and I do a walk through of the home. I take notes as to their concerns and check the filters and stat with them. That way they see what I am looking at and what I am looking for. Its usually 10 minutes before I get my tools out of the van.

By spending this time with the customer, I know exactly what they feel the issue is. It could be as simple as blowin hot air. Or as complicated as this register is noisy.

So what are you getting at here? The fact that your mind is one-tracked and you think you know our profession? If you are that far in-doubt about your contractor....THEN FIND A NEW ONE!!!!

As far as tools required. Lets not go there. Your a painter. I'm an HVAC technician. I have well over $10,000 sunk into tools and test equipment already. And I am constantly replacing broken tools and buying new ones to keep up with technology. Then theres all the time and money spent on continuing education. How many painting seminars have you attended??? I would be betting it hasn't been all that many.

So lets get the facts straight. The sooner you admit that you do not know what you are talkin about, the sooner we can actually assist you in gaining the little bit of knowledge you need to HELP your contractor resolve your issues. But the longer you play this "I am right" game, that harder its gonna be to get your system operating properly.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post
    I wasn't tying to be cute or antagonistic with anyone here.

Can I ask? My short run of flex duct to my living room register from the plenum is so darn short...just an elbow and 12" of flex duct to the register box.
    You can practically hear the blower motor running and stick your arm down the plenum..lol.

Would this be a solution? Put an elbow on the plenum going the opposite direction, then "mosey" a 12' flex duct back to that register box.

Would that not tend to decrease the noise of the existing duct being in such close proximity from plenum to duct box?

I think I might just settle for that if you guys think it would help. My main concern is noise at that register box. I thought the rush of air was an issue too, but I may just drop that as a concern. Also...dealing with a one floor condo with small HVAC closet in the hall probably isn't the easiest thing to remedy with regards to noise. I may just live with it. It's not terrible.
    I didn't mean to get so obsessed with it. Sorry.

Yeah....

When you add an elbow, your messing with static pressures. And when you run ductwork 12 feet in the wrong direction, your really messing up the pressures. Not to mention you would need a backdraft damper installed.

Maybe the length of the run is not the issue. Maybe it is the placement coming off the plenum. Maybe its the register itself(rattling, something loose)...

Its hard to tell. We can't see it through the computer screen. And I don't know ESP. So I can't tell you. You need to get a contractor to come look at it. Let them do their jobs. Thats what they are trained to do. When you start suggesting your plans to fix it, then you are turning them away.

If you were our customer, you'd a been fired by now. Nothin personal....we just have a lot of customers that appreciate the time invested to help them. The last thing we need is Mr. Callback callin again. Think about it while you simmer.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Being an HVAC professional I know nothing about home theaters and what amount of equipment and it's quality 20K buys.

What I do know is how to listen to a customer's complaint and come up with a solution that will satisfy them. I do this by listening to what they have to say, ask the questions I need to gather the information needed for a full assesment and then develope a solution to make things right in the customer's mind.

If you tell me that the noise you are experiencing from your HVAC system is not acceptable I will ask questions until I'm satisfied I have determined what noise level is acceptable to you. Would I do this with a db meter? No. I'd have you show me registers that you believe are emitting a level of sound that you would be happy having in your media room. After that point it has nothing to do with what tools or meters I may or may not own.

Designing and installing a whisper quiet HVAC system is done by the correct selection of equipment, materials used to fabricate the ductwork, the correct sizing of all the ductwork, the correct registers and the correct installation of the system from A to Z.

Noise as heard by a customer is a perception issue. You can't measure perception with a meter.

If you want whisper quiet operation of your HVAC system then you will need the same system design (downsized of course) as would be found in a theater. I'd suggest that you call around to the top ($$$$) AV system sellers/installers in your area and ask them who they recommend as a qualified HVAC company that understands high end media room ventilation and noise control.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Having a small 887 sq.ft one floor condo with a builder designed HVAC closet
    at the hallway presents noise challenges that perhaps most here don't come across everyday. There simply are limitationa to what you can do to lessen noise.

The installers lined the closet with sound absorbing board. In hindsight I would have liked to myself have lined the closet with soundblocking board.

I bought some Dynamat and used that to lessen vibration noise on the unit.

Under the closet is a fairly nice sized return area, so I lined that with Home Depot acoustic fiber board. I set some carpet on the concrete floor there and that seemed to have helped a lot. I ordered some better acoustic padding to
    put in place of ordinary carpet. I plan to line the entire return cavity with that too.

About running a new flex tube back aways and then back may or may not improve noise at the one register that is so close to the plenum. I can always change it back to the original. There are only 5 registers and a powerfull airflow, so I'm not too concerned with static at this point.

I'll continue to work on the closets acoutical properties to improve things more.

Thanks for the advice given, I appreciate it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234