Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What speciality tools do HVAC contractors have?

I'm having my installer manager drop by this Thursday to check out some minor issues with duct size to AC tonnage and noise due to airflow issues.

I bet he shows up with not one piece of electronic device.

Not an air flow meter to show intake at return grill (not an issue with me) nor
    a decible meter (a big deal with me).

I mean...say someone "thinks" he is hearing more noise from one register than another. Wouldn't it be prudent for a top notch HVAC troubleshooter/manager of firm to carry a relatively quality Decible reader?

At least then, he could possibly say that one register area is not emitting any more db's than another.

PPL with $20,000 home theatre systems trying to remedy a noise problem.
    Doesn't it behove a top notch HVAC contractor to show up with something in his kit besides his cell phone?

if you have a $20,000 dollar home theater system buy your own decible meter and show him the problem...........

i have been doing this work for 35 yrs and never had the need for one.

So..that is just how accurate an ear you have.

No need for such a device.

You must be a wonder comparing how you solve noise problems with just that ear of yours.

35 years or whatever.

Clone you.

If you hear the noise then a decibel meter is not needed. I have never needed one. The decibel meter only measures a level of noise, most noise problems are not loud but are in a range that is perceptible and not acceptable. Air measurements, duct size design and configuration, and experience should be able to solve your problem. Did you share your concerns about the quality of the tech with the company, it would help the company to select the best guy for your needs. 20K home theater is kind of a budget system, maybe your HVAC system is a budget system too.

It would be better in my opinion if he showed up and checked the static pressure of the system. This will give him many more options than a decibal meter. Thats just going to show there is more noise but not why and how to remedy the problem.

These runs must be very noisy if heard over a home entertainment system. If you listen like I do you would hear nothing but the movie or whatever. If it is that noisy then if unfinished there maay be some ways to deaden the sound and still have comfort.
    Its a good Life!

I often employ the use of a decibel meter to prove that the annoying sound coming from a piece of equipment is indeed within the range of sound acceptible to the manufacturer of the equipment. Decibel range of sound is not an accurate measure of annoying sound. many annoying sounds are below normal decibel ranges, but are nevertheless annoying.

Harmonic sounds in particular can seem to be coming from anywhere and everywhere. Also, sound bouncing from objects and building structures may not be in a high decibel range but can sound deafening due to way the sound hits the ears.

The way to eliminate annoying sounds is to pragmatically track down the source of the sound and either eliminate the source (usually a vibtration of some sort) or redirect the vibrations energy to a high mass object.

Speaking of sounds; it "sounds" like member caslon has already predetermined a failed attempt to address his or her problem. Is the point to take a jab at a particular company or our industry overall?

Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    I often employ the use of a decibel meter to prove that the annoying sound coming from a piece of equipment is indeed within the range of sound acceptible to the manufacturer of the equipment. Decibel range of sound is not an accurate measure of annoying sound. many annoying sounds are below normal decibel ranges, but are nevertheless annoying.

Harmonic sounds in particular can seem to be coming from anywhere and everywhere. Also, sound bouncing from objects and building structures may not be in a high decibel range but can sound deafening due to way the sound hits the ears.

The way to eliminate annoying sounds is to pragmatically track down the source of the sound and either eliminate the source (usually a vibtration of some sort) or redirect the vibrations energy to a high mass object.

Speaking of sounds; it "sounds" like member caslon has already predetermined a failed attempt to address his or her problem. Is the point to take a jab at a particular company or our industry overall?

Seems to me a quality db meter should be a given.
    Troubleshooting noise..damn what a great tool.

Kudos to those who carry an expensive one along.

A tool when a customer is trying to lessen noise.

Damn! Don't any of you lug heads ever troubleshoot noise?

Or is it all nuts and bolts only here?

Without a DB meter....are we all dependent on the mathematics of HVAC?

A meter would be nice.
    But, by checking CFM through the register, you can tell if it needs to be increased in size or not.

Installers usually don't have decibel meters.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Keep in mind. That noise annoyance, also has a perception factor.
    Contractor locator map

Granted...but since the manager of my install is coming over this Thursday...
    I bet he just shows up as himself.

sigh...I have one of those condo closets that house the AC/Furnace.

I've done all I can to block the sound. The return register is huge and I did all
    I could with that...I actually knoked down the sound at least 40%.

My living room duct I can almost stick my hand down past the elbow to the plenum.
    I intend to do something about that.

Run an elbow off the plenum there...going the other way...and mosey flex duct back
    around to to my living room duct. TAKE THAT BLOWER MOTOR SOUND.

Since you have already established a low opinion of the manager before he arrives, why don't you call back and request he bring a meter with him? No need for you to bad mouth anyone. I'm geting tired of society deteriorating to the point that bad manners has become the accepted norm. Learn how to address and resolve conflict or concerns without resorting to being confrontational and angry.

This is one of the problems with a slightly oversized unit.
    It has to move X amount of air. And if teh ducts can't handle that air, it gets noisey.
    Contractor locator map

I was thinking about doing that. So cool you replied that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast