Thread: Sanyo minisplit SEER - long

Post Likes

Sanyo minisplit SEER - long

Good evening all:

I am in the process of having a small addition built onto my house located in NJ. This is being done to enlarge an existing room -- new section is about 14x14 with 11" cathedral ceiling. I had originally planned on replacing my old York unit with a new Carrier/Bryant zoned system like the one I had installed in my mothers house on recommendations from this forum. Things are changing.

The house is an expanded cape with a big dormer upstairs for two rooms and a bath -- I had a two ton unit installed in the attic when I first bought the house 12 years ago just for the second floor space. Not the best idea - not only do I have problems with it every year but I now know that I should have installed it someplace else for better efficiency

The main floor has thee single story bump outs -- the kitchen, family room and now this extension. So the house is quite long and has a strange shape and a lot of roof area!!!

I heat the place with underfloor radiant for most of it -- but the A/C has been a pain -- it is very uneven as the sun moves around the house and my larger family room 16 x28 w/8' ceiling does not get enough air on hot days - even though the ductwork was supposed to be sized correctly. Plus to handle the hot days I need a 4 ton unit and it short cycles on cooler days and the blower is loud!

When I was getting quotes on a new Bryant zoned system. My contractor suggested that I have a 9k minsplit installed in the new room area and forgo installing any ductwork under the radiant slab $$$. So the mini split will cover this area. Then install another minisplit into the family room to make up for the very hot days. This will allow for a new smaller main unit that will not short cycle in the rest of the house. I think it is the better way to go -- and is actually less money. Does this sound like it would work??

I also ran into an issue with the minisplits -- The Sanyo's were the brand talked about. They have a SEER of 16 vs LG art-cool of 19 and the the fujitsu at 21 -- even though all are inverter. I am confused ?? Why are the latest unit from a leader in the segment only 16??

From reading about them all ---plus the Dankin -- and the Mr Slim. All have there supporters -- I like the look of the LG but I like the 21 of the Futjitsu. Is there any real difference in the units -- all are about the same price. Will I be fine just going with the Sanyo?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Not much in the way of savings from a 16 to a 21 SEER. There is some. But depending on teh difference in price, you may never get a return.

Post Likes
    That was my thinking on the SEER difference -- But I was still surprised that Sanyo was only a 16 since it looks like a new model.

Post Likes
    Better chance that it gets its 16 SEER rating in the real world, then the 19 or 21 actually getting their ratings in the real world.

Post Likes
    Interesting point!

With all the problems that can be introduced when complex ductwork is involved -- the simplicity of the mini-splits gives them the advantage in that regard. But, since the whole idea of the unit is to modulate down -- it really never runs at full capacity unless it is very hot out. Better to rated them at 75%.

It would be a valuable number to know.

Post Likes
    Rating is required to be at certain design conditions.

Doubtfull it will be runnig at 10% capacity when its 95° outside.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in