Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool What size for 1650sqft going with ruud or Goodwin GSH13

Hello, We are building a new home and it is around 1650sqft and we are either getting a Goodwin GSH13 or a Ruud UANL-JEZ Series. The guy with the quote for the Goodwin said 3 ton the other quote for the Ruud said 2.5 ton.... We are in Arkansas where temps frequent 100 degrees in the summer. Another important factor is we are getting a light colored metal roof and Using R28 SIPs for the exterior walls.

This site is great I have been reading tons of articles it is great to get opinions from folks not selling the product. Thanks for your time. Brian

Only a professional in the business that performs an onsite heat loss and cooling load calculation can answer your question.

or you could just take a wild guess.

I have had two professionals in the buis. give me two different answers. The house is not built so I am not sure what you mean by onsite....

Sorry...2 pros and 2 sizes do pose somewhat of a problem...one can only assume one is not as pro as he thinks.

Unfortunately it is virtually impossible to size equipment based on the minimal info you provided. Chances are we would be wrong too as the SWAG system is not real accurate.

Perhaps you should look at the link above "HVAC Calc".

Or click here:
    http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp

What more information would you need. I am very new to this. This is our first house to build.

Quote Originally Posted by hevnbnd View Post
    What more information would you need. I am very new to this. This is our first house to build.
    Go back to each company and ask why so high or low, and ask them whether they considered all the design aspects of the new house, what their calculated heat gain and loss was. Perhaps one is using rule of thumb, or one is adding in more people and big-screen TV's then the other one.

-HF

A true load calculation is done taking into account many factors, including insulation and windows. Your installation contractor who is designing the system needs to do this and design the ductwork accordingly. For a new house, you'll want a room-by-room load calculation to determine how much airflow each room needs. I would do it right the first time and go with the most thorough contractor. It will be worth it in the long run!

It could be that your house calculates out to somewhere between 2.5 and 3 ton of air. If that is the case, each contractor has their own reason for suggesting the size system that they prefer.

I personally prefer a slightly undersized system and am willing to put up with a little bit of temperature rise on very hot days. Others who are not tolerant of a system that will not keep their house exactly the temperature they want it even on extremely hot days should go for the slightly oversized system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

As robo said, your house could come out as able to use either size.
    Or, it could be that one of them listed your house as the wrong orientation.
    That will throw the calc off.

Not 100% up to date with Goodman numbers. But isn't a GSH a heat pump.
    If so, the 3 ton contractor may be up sizing you 1/2 ton for better heating efficiency.
    Which would be proper by Manual J.

If only someone on this board was familar with Goodman numbers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The GSH13 is a R-22 heat pump.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    The GSH13 is a R-22 heat pump.
    I know. I was ribbing Robo for not having picked up on that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by hevnbnd View Post
    Hello, We are building a new home and it is around 1650sqft and we are either getting a Goodwin GSH13 or a Ruud UANL-JEZ Series. The guy with the quote for the Goodwin said 3 ton the other quote for the Ruud said 2.5 ton.... We are in Arkansas where temps frequent 100 degrees in the summer. Another important factor is we are getting a light colored metal roof and Using R28 SIPs for the exterior walls.

This site is great I have been reading tons of articles it is great to get opinions from folks not selling the product. Thanks for your time. Brian
    I reccomend a variable speed blower whatever brand you get.

I highly recommend using HVAC-Calc yourself to see where your energy dollars will be going - and where you might want to make changes.

If you do a good job air sealing the house and providing shade for the windows in the summer, you might be able to go even smaller with your HVAC equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast