Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can I make a TXV distributor ?

1.5 HP, R-404, reach-in freezer. Changing out twin cap tubes for a one ton R-404 TXV.

Brazed in 5" by 1/4" OD copper where the cap tubes had been. Brought them together and brazed them into the end of a piece of 1/2" copper - to mate up with the TXV.

Then I realized that I could keep the TXV neatly inside the evap enclosure if I mounted it about ten-twelve inches further forward. So I left the 1/2" copper that long - rather than cut it down to 3" or so as I had originally planned.

My actual question is:

If I have the TXV outlet feeding a foot of 1/2" copper, Then two short 1/4" stubs, Then into the evap - will that create a problem?

My natural tendency would have been to make the 1/2" section as short as possible - a few inches. But to do that I have to mount the TXV outside the original enclosure. Which would look ugly. <g>

I hate to re-do the evap inlet - it was a huge bastard - no space - couldn't see - brazing by feel - no space to work - etc.

So? Will the 12" of 1/2" copper before my home-made 1/4" 'distributor' tubes make any difference?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Man I would say that would work just fine as long as your bulbs are located in the same location as the old bulbs. This is just my opnion I would like to hear what the rest of the guys have to say about this, but I think it would work.

why are you intalling a 1 ton txv?

I've done almost the exact same thing before and it worked fine. Just keep both your 1/4" lines close to the same length as well. I also changed two cap tubes over to a TXV on a R-13 cascade freezer and to my amazement, it work great. Don't forget to pull a good vacuum and install a new filter drier.

My understanding of a distributor is that it is designed to mix the refrigerant ater it leaves the TXV. I does this by "sraying" it through
    a nozzle much like a hose end does at the end of a garden hose. This spreads it out evenly into the distributor tubes after the nozzle.I would be
    afraid that the device that you mad would not feed each tube evenly. With out the nozzle I think the liquid would fall to the lowest tube with the vabor going to the highest tube. If it would do this the TXV could not modulate properly. Just my opinion.

Wannafreeze -

It matched the compressor BTU's the closest.

Why do you ask?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by wannafreeze View Post
    why are you intalling a 1 ton txv?
    PHM
    --------

Tiger 93 -

What bulbs?

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    Man I would say that would work just fine as long as your bulbs are located in the same location as the old bulbs. This is just my opnion I would like to hear what the rest of the guys have to say about this, but I think it would work.
    PHM
    --------

Poodle Head, I think your one ton TXV will be a good match. Have you tried using a balanced port TXV, I've been using them a lot and like the way they control SH.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    1.5 HP, R-404, reach-in freezer. Changing out twin cap tubes for a one ton R-404 TXV.

Brazed in 5" by 1/4" OD copper where the cap tubes had been. Brought them together and brazed them into the end of a piece of 1/2" copper - to mate up with the TXV.

Then I realized that I could keep the TXV neatly inside the evap enclosure if I mounted it about ten-twelve inches further forward. So I left the 1/2" copper that long - rather than cut it down to 3" or so as I had originally planned.

My actual question is:

If I have the TXV outlet feeding a foot of 1/2" copper, Then two short 1/4" stubs, Then into the evap - will that create a problem?

My natural tendency would have been to make the 1/2" section as short as possible - a few inches. But to do that I have to mount the TXV outside the original enclosure. Which would look ugly. <g>

I hate to re-do the evap inlet - it was a huge bastard - no space - couldn't see - brazing by feel - no space to work - etc.

So? Will the 12" of 1/2" copper before my home-made 1/4" 'distributor' tubes make any difference?
    I would lean more towards a piece 4-6 inches long.

Field engineering is on a case by case basis. No guarantees of outcome and advise the customer to start saving up.

I have used a TXV directly into an water cooled condenser(used as a evaporator) for chilled water with a residential condensing unit for a machine shop chilled water loop. It worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    It matched the compressor BTU's the closest.

Why do you ask?

PHM
    -------
    I wouldn't ask if you had said if it was a cooler.Can you post the mn of compressor?

If that compressor's a 1.5 HP KATB then you need a 1/2 ton valve capacity.

I've used a Sporlan Q2x4 valve with a QC-2 cartridge and a KT43-SZ element on the True GDM72F. I made up the same 1/2" into two 1/4" for the distributor and it works great. Kept it short and straight though, just outside the evap housing. Nobody sees it because only we ever look up.

like ice said make sure your txv is sized right .other than that I have replaced many cap tube systems with a txv.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast