Thread: CFM question

Hybrid View

CFM question

My brother in law is installing new hvac in a house that had a wall heater and a wall a/c unit. His contractor brought out the equipment and is planning on starting the first of next week. I looked at the equipment and have a question about the CFM of the heater. The square footage is 1300-1400. The heater is a Goodman GMS80704BX and it seems to be 1600 CFM. I'm a plumbing contractor and know about enough to stay away from trouble with HVAC. But I did a little research for my BIL and it seems 1200 CFM would have been plenty. It's a single story with no long duct runs. He has payed for the equipment and if my thinking is right. He may be stuck with it and end up looking for a new contractor. Question one is what should the CFM be? Question two is if he is stuck with the equipment can the blower motor be changed to 1200CFM if my thinking is right or can the wiring be changed on the motor that is in the unit. Thanks in advance. Dave

The furnace blower is adjustable. It should be fine.

What size is the A/C?

Extremely rare to find an installer who changes blower speed off the factory setting though

It's a 3 ton coil and condensor

I think you're on to something. I'd recommend the furnace be exchanged for the same Btu on heating but with a 3-ton blower. They are available.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!