Brand Preference

Hello,

I am new to this site and believe that I already know the answer to my question but I am going to ask it anyway. First a little background on what I currently have. My AC unit is a 1980's Carrier that has not worked right since we bought our house. It was charged last Sept and took another 2 lbs in June then was diagnosed with a bad compressor. I believe it is a 2.5 ton unit that when it is not freezing up or blowing the fuse seems to cool fine until it gets into the 90 degree and above range. The unit seldom stops running even at night when the temps drop. Thermostat is set at 76-78 most of the time. The furnace is a 1960's model Lennox that works great still but is very inefficient. When my wife told me that we were paying almost 700.00 for our gas bill over the winter I decided it was time to replace both units.
    This is where the question comes in. I have received quotes from a few contractors all of who did a thorough measurement of my house and current system. They have quoted Trane, Goodman, York and even one contractor told me whatever brand I wanted they could get. I am considering the Goodman or the York as far as pricing but the York is a single stage unit and the Goodman a 2 stage both are 3 ton for the AC and 100,000 BTU furnaces at 95%. I was leaning towards the York because I have heard nothing but negatives on the Goodman until I started reading these forums so I am confused again. If the Goodman has come a long way then I think the logical choice is the Goodman. What are your thoughts or recommendations?

as far as equipment all the major brands that you listed pretty much all have the same components

concentrate on getting a reputable contractor and go with what they recommend!

also you should get a heat load calculation performed to make sure you get the proper size equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerW72 View Post
    Hello,

I am new to this site and believe that I already know the answer to my question but I am going to ask it anyway. First a little background on what I currently have. My AC unit is a 1980's Carrier that has not worked right since we bought our house. It was charged last Sept and took another 2 lbs in June then was diagnosed with a bad compressor. I believe it is a 2.5 ton unit that when it is not freezing up or blowing the fuse seems to cool fine until it gets into the 90 degree and above range. The unit seldom stops running even at night when the temps drop. Thermostat is set at 76-78 most of the time. The furnace is a 1960's model Lennox that works great still but is very inefficient. When my wife told me that we were paying almost 700.00 for our gas bill over the winter I decided it was time to replace both units.
    This is where the question comes in. I have received quotes from a few contractors all of who did a thorough measurement of my house and current system. They have quoted Trane, Goodman, York and even one contractor told me whatever brand I wanted they could get. I am considering the Goodman or the York as far as pricing but the York is a single stage unit and the Goodman a 2 stage both are 3 ton for the AC and 100,000 BTU furnaces at 95%. I was leaning towards the York because I have heard nothing but negatives on the Goodman until I started reading these forums so I am confused again. If the Goodman has come a long way then I think the logical choice is the Goodman. What are your thoughts or recommendations?
    Tiger

I'm sure many other will chime in that the install is the most important thing and the equipment is second. So do yourself a favor and get a good installer.....

I'm on my second Goodman. The first lasted 12 years. It was still working when I had it replaced.

The problem was with the install and not the system. I was not getting the proper cooling from the unit in the Texas summers. So I had a guy come out and check the system. It turns out the unit had the wrong input and return line to the OD unit. Also, the installers didn't cut out the intake opening for the air handler large enough so it wasn't getting enough air.

The cost to replace the lines and have the unit removed to fix the intake problem was costly So, I went with a new 16 SEER with a 95% AH.

I've been very happy with the new unit. It cools the house down from 80 to 75 in about an hour even on those 100 degree days. My electric bills are much easier to take.

Also, Goodman has some nice warranty features.

Just my 2 cents ...

Timby

Quote Originally Posted by timby View Post
    Tiger

I'm sure many other will chime in that the install is the most important thing and the equipment is second. So do yourself a favor and get a good installer.....

I'm on my second Goodman. The first lasted 12 years. It was still working when I had it replaced.

The problem was with the install and not the system. I was not getting the proper cooling from the unit in the Texas summers. So I had a guy come out and check the system. It turns out the unit had the wrong input and return line to the OD unit. Also, the installers didn't cut out the intake opening for the air handler large enough so it wasn't getting enough air.

The cost to replace the lines and have the unit removed to fix the intake problem was costly So, I went with a new 16 SEER with a 95% AH.

I've been very happy with the new unit. It cools the house down from 80 to 75 in about an hour even on those 100 degree days. My electric bills are much easier to take.

Also, Goodman has some nice warranty features.

Just my 2 cents ...
    How's been the difference in your power bills?

I am considering a the 16 Seer system, but in the guise of Amana.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    How's been the difference in your power bills?

I am considering a the 16 Seer system, but in the guise of Amana.
    My bills are between 30% and 40% less even with this summer being hotter.

The old unit wasn't installed properly so I was getting around 3 ton instead of 4. Also, the old unit was rated around 9 SEER. Definitely worth the install. I'll have to wait till the winter to notice if my gas bill goes down as I got the 95% furnace. It was just a little more than the 80 and it has a VS motor.

I am considering the Goodman or the York as far as pricing but the York is a single stage unit and the Goodman a 2 stage both are 3 ton for the AC and 100,000 BTU furnaces at 95%.
    Goodman doesn't make a 3-ton 2-stage air conditioner--only in the 5-ton size. So you're either looking at Amana or being misled.

As Airmech said I wouldn't focus so much on brand but rather the contractor. That said, I think Carrier offers a nice line of equipment at the moment. http://www.residential.carrier.com/products/index.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Goodman doesn't make a 3-ton 2-stage air conditioner--only in the 5-ton size. So you're either looking at Amana or being misled.

As Airmech said I wouldn't focus so much on brand but rather the contractor. That said, I think Carrier offers a nice line of equipment at the moment. http://www.residential.carrier.com/products/index.shtml
    Ryan

I believe Amana makes one .....

However, I may be mistaken ....

Quote Originally Posted by timby View Post
    Ryan

I believe Amana makes one .....

However, I may be mistaken ....
    Right, that's why I said he's either looking at Amana or being misled. The OP stated Goodman.

Wink

Our old heat pump system just died and we are in process of selecting a new one. I am getting so much advice and opinions on diferenct brands, I am getting very confused. Since the weather is very hot, we need to make a decision very soon. What I'm hearing is that the installer is the most important issue, but I would appreciate any advice or opinions on the differenct brands. One of my estimates was for an Armstrong heat pump system. However, I have never heard of the Armstrong brand. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

basically armstrong is a lennox made mid level brand, usually without the bells and whistles. i think most of the parts are generic enough to get easily.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Thanks

Thank you for the responses. I figured the equipment anymore is basically the same. You have helped to make the decision easier. I will stop just looking at the price and go with the company I trust to do the job correctly.

Again many thanks to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cautious View Post
    Our old heat pump system just died and we are in process of selecting a new one. I am getting so much advice and opinions on diferenct brands, I am getting very confused. Since the weather is very hot, we need to make a decision very soon. What I'm hearing is that the installer is the most important issue, but I would appreciate any advice or opinions on the differenct brands. One of my estimates was for an Armstrong heat pump system. However, I have never heard of the Armstrong brand. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    I have an Armstrong, and it is a good unit.

You'll get more responses if you start a new thread. If you post the details of the quote you got from Armstrong, including size and model numbers including the air handler and inside coil, but not the pricing, you'll more specific answers from the pros who install them.

-HF