Magic-Pak replacement advice

Please feel free to critique. I'm posting for the first time and I've read the forum guidelines, so I'm doing my best to respect the rules and ask the right questions.

I reside in an 18 year old building with the original Magic-Pak unit. The unit is housed in a closet on the balcony. What information do I need as I assess alternatives for its replacement? Does anyone have experience and/or ideas of replacement units? Certainly, I can get another Magic-Pak, though neighbors have indicated that the replacement unit from Armstrong is not as efficient nor cost-effective as current models. I also don't know what's involved in fitting another model that might be smaller than the current wall cut-out dimensions.

Really, any advice on what information I need, what options I have, and what I should or shouldn't do are greatly appreciated. I have called Armstrong, who gave me a list of local distributors, and called the dealers the distributor recommends. I haven't received a response yet to my voicemail messages.

Thanks in advance. Also, if you have any resources (like Consumer Reports) that helps navigate this process, I'm very open to doing research and getting educated.

When it comes to Magicpak, I'm afraid you don't have many options. I do believe that Bryant distributes a similar product that will take the place of the MP.
    Haven't installed one in awhile, so Im not sure whether their up to the 13 SEER EPA standard.

If it has a bad heat exchanger, that can be replaced, the cooling section can also be repaired or replaced.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

National Comfort Products may be the only alternative

http://www.nationalcomfortproducts.c...kaged-cpg.html

have you trid magik-pak.com?

Quote Originally Posted by laszer99 View Post
    have you trid magik-pak.com?
    Yes. I called the company and got the name of the local distributors. Repeat again with dealers. As outlined in the original post. I'm awaiting a call back; however, I'd like to hear from other professionals since dealers of Armstrong have a vested interest in its products.

You have heard pretty much all your going to hear about them allready. What more do you want to know?
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    You have heard pretty much all your going to hear about them allready. What more do you want to know?
    To summarize:

1. if broken or malfunctioning, the heat exchanger or cooling system might be replaced as a potential solution.

2. if replacing the whole unit (which other threads seem to recommend in general), MP may be the only option. others think Bryant or National Comfort Products may have alternatives. doesn't seem to be any direct/recent experience.

Thanks for the tips CW and BL. If anyone has anything else to add, feel free. FYI, the OEM site is magic-pak.com just to make sure anyone else reading the thread goes to the right site.

Not sure about the magic-pak but we installed a bunch of skymark skypaks in 3 different condos, and I dread the day we need to replace any(500lbs+)
    You can't fix stupid

Its all up to you and whats in the budget. If you want to repair it, then you can probably have it done, unless the equipment is collapsing from corrosion. If you want to replace it and go with a new warranty, then you can do that too.
    I believe you said it was 18 years old?...I service MP wall units here in MI that are just as old, if not older. Ive replaced cooling sections, repaired leaks, and replaced heat exchangers as well as other parts in them.

Its all up to you, and to reiterate, you don't have many options to choose from as far as equipment goes.

Good luck!

These units are heavy, but the cooling section can be removed to lighten the load, and reinserted once placed.
    Aint no thang but a chicken wang on a strang.
    Last edited by coolwhip; 07-22-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    -- Confucius

Thanks, Coolwhip. I guess it's a risk issue at this point. The unit is not experiencing any problems; however, my neighbors' units are failing at a regular rate of a few a year (we have 160 condos in our three-building complex). I just removed the grill and cleaned it as well as the external housing on the unit (filthy!). I could "let it ride" and wait until it malfunctions or fails. You make it sound like 18 years isn't necessarily retirement age. What would you do? FYI, we have money for a new unit if that's the route you would suggest. If can provide any other information, let me know. We live just outside of Washington DC, so we have hot summers and relatively cold winters with the unit actively running about 9 months out of the year.

After 18 years, that thing doesnt owe you nuttin. Get a few estimates on replacing it and go with a new unit and warranty.
    -- Confucius

Use all 3 of them.
    Armstrong, Johnson, and NCP.
    They are all about the same.

You should replace it soon though. (before 2010)
    In 2010, they loss their restricted space waivers. And have to meet 13 SEER for cooling efficiency. Nothing wrong with that. But they will most likely jump in price.

Main difference in price between those brands, is the volume the dealer does.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?