2 stage sys operation ?

Folks--you've given me a great education over the past few weeks--thanks..just wanted to focus a few questions.

For a 2 stage system: Trane xl16i, 4 ton

What should control the amount of time is stays in 1 stage? Is it time, the air temp diff between the set point/actual room temp, or some other variable? If there are multiple options, which is best.

What should the fan speed be in stage 1 v. stage 2?

Lastly, how does this system vary cooling tonnage, since it only has 1 compressor? anyone know what % of full capacity the first stage is?

thanks again for any info

Quote Originally Posted by njhusky View Post
    Folks--you've given me a great education over the past few weeks--thanks..just wanted to focus a few questions.

For a 2 stage system: Trane xl16i, 4 ton

What should control the amount of time is stays in 1 stage? Is it time, the air temp diff between the set point/actual room temp, or some other variable? If there are multiple options, which is best.

What should the fan speed be in stage 1 v. stage 2?

Lastly, how does this system vary cooling tonnage, since it only has 1 compressor? anyone know what % of full capacity the first stage is?

thanks again for any info
    Staging is controlled by the thermostat. I have the IAQ, and according to Honeywell: "In a multi-stage system, while maintaining setpoint, several factors affect when the next stage energizes, such as load conditions, environmental conditions, P+I control, and home insulation. The next stage energizes when the thermostat senses the previous stage is running at 90% capacity."

With the XL16i, fan is at 80% for stage 1.

The compressor is at 67% for stage 1.

Hope that helps!

Thanks much...do you know of any way to tell if the system is in stage 1 or stage 2..I'm fairly handy so telling me i need to open something to check is not a big deal