Thread: Pellet Stove Install, Complicated

Post Likes

Pellet Stove Install, Complicated

Hi (first post),
    I have a pellet stove to install in my tri-level home. If I install it on the first floor (preferred, direct vent install) I am thinking the third floor will stay cold. If it’s installed on the second floor (not preferred, in a fireplace), the first floor will stay cold. The problem is compounded by the homes current two zone oil furnace. First and second floors are tied together on one zone, third floor on a separate zone. If I install the stove on the second floor, and the first floor stays cold and calls for heat, the furnace will heat the first and second floors, thus wasting heat to the second floor. The stove is capable of heating approximately twice the square footage of my house. I'm also thinking the first floor install may make that room too hot for comfort? Please see attached floor plan image.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Have it installed on teh first floor. And turn your stats to fan "on" to run your furnaces fan 24/7 to circulate the heat to all floors.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response. I wasn't clear, I dont have a furnace fan (wish I did), it's forced hot water, baseboard heat. I was hoping to get some general advise about air movement, best location. I thought about putting in a floor register between the first and third floor with a fan which may help but don't know how to size the fan. Volume of house is about 10,800 cu ft.
    Thanks, Mike -

Post Likes
    A 14 x 20 floor register by itself placed at the closet wall may be more then enough.
    That way the register is close to the stove, and not in a heavey walk area.

Post Likes
    Please see attached image. In front of the closet on the first floor would be in bath room on the third floor. I added the 14x20 in the hallway on the plan. Do you think this would work, location? Do you think I would need a fan in the register?

Thanks for you help and advise.
    Mike -

Post Likes
    That where I meant.

I don't think you will need fan with a 14 x 20 register. Natural convection should move more then enough air.

Post Likes
    Thank you very much for your time and advise.
    Mike -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in