Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    In the area I live, refrigeration guys make about 25% more than HVAC guys. plus more OT. If your married you may want to ask does your wife want to see you or your paycheck, since depending on what you do, that may be all she ever sees of you.

Right now i can use the OT as i am the only source of income and have 2 kids.

How much OT are we talking?

Which area of refrig has the most and the least amount of OT?

Quote Originally Posted by natepickle View Post
    Right now i can use the OT as i am the only source of income and have 2 kids.

How in the world would we know how much OT you might end up working???

Most of us have no idea how many hours a week we are working until the end of the week - how the heck would we be able to tell YOU how many hours you will log in a week IF you decide to do refrigeration service?

Refrigeration techs get extremely busy in the summer (just like HVAC). There is typically a little lag in Nov/Dec and again in Mar/April depending on where you live and what kind of accounts the company has (as I stated earlier).

Sounds to me like you're looking for some sort of "guarantee" regarding wage and hours..........good luck with that. Others have said if you are motivated, take pride in your appearance, are able to retain what you will learn and are willing to work hard, there is no limit to the amount of hours/money you can earn.....what part of this do you not understand?

Yes, a person can make a comfortable living in this field....but you can make a very comfortable living doing HVAC work also if you choose to.

look you dont have to be an ass about it , iam just asking questions to get a feel for that side of the trade.

WHAT PART OF THAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND

TO HERE YOU TALK FAT PEOPLE NEED NOT APPLY

Quote Originally Posted by natepickle View Post
    look you dont have to be an ass about it , iam just asking questions to get a feel for that side of the trade.

WHAT PART OF THAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND

TO HERE YOU TALK FAT PEOPLE NEED NOT APPLY
    Quote Originally Posted by natepickle
    How much does a good refrigeration tech make ? How much OT due they log?
    vs.
    HVAC service tech?
    No really how much more do refr guys make than hvac. same years and talent?
    No really how much more do refr guys make vs than hvac. same years and talent?

How many times are you going to ask the same effin question?

Like you were told before...IT DEPENDS

Pay scales aren't the same from area to area. Work loads aren't the same from area to area, etc........

If you are that thick headed that you have to ask the same question 4 different times I doubt you'd have what it takes to make it on the refrigeration side anyway.

........And apparently I DO need to be an ass about it, because you didn't seem to understand when the topic was addressed in a civil manner yesterday.

You Are An *******. I Have Been Trying To Get Info On How Much Different The Refrig Side Is From The Hvac And You Are The Only ******* That Have Problems With The Questions. I Bet The Guys That Work Around You Are Freakin Ecstatic To Get Up In The Morning To Work With Your Narrow Minded *****y Attitude

easy Nate.

On occasion, newcomers to the site read the content of a response in the written word, and interpret it in the wrong way. As well, it takes some getting used to, to make your own questions in writting to come across as best you can to describe your real heart.

Just like with being fat and ugly. The guys know I was messin around, cause they have known me on here for a long while. You may have thought it serious.

In the future, just read a post and think about it for a second and give it the benefit of the doubt that the poster meant well and in grace rather than negative.

To answer your question in all seriousness. I believe, I know it to be the case in my time in this trade, that, pound for pound good techncians make similair pay in commercial/industrial HVAC and refrigeration. It is that with refrigeration guys often work longer hours, opportunity for overtime is more prevalent, just due to the nature of the work.

As with the others, it depends on geographical location, the type of accounts the company you work for, your own ability and enthusiasm. ECT ECT Ect. Yada Yada Yad.

So your asking for a definitive answer, and it's just to much to pin down to an exact answer. I would not be willing to expose my personal income on here. Lets just say. I have 13 years at this. I do okay.

The one thing about this trade. As my old man has always said to me. You will always be able to put food on your families table if you aspire.

Markettech is someone you will learn to cherish on here for his knowledge and for his espirit de corps. Let it go. Open up, chill, have a seat. Be cool.

Whats is your background? Maybe we can all help.

There are good reasons the GOOD refrigeration Journeyman make more money! I have tried to take a good many experienced HVAC techs and throw them into the supermarket world. A bust every time! But, take a good supermarket J-man and send him on a chiller and it is like eating apple pie and ice cream. I consider HVAC work a vacation. HVAC techs spend too much time changing filters, cleaning coils and grills, changing/adjusting belts and playing around with simple controls. They simply are not practiced enough with meter, guages, refrigeration theory and dynamics, fitting and brazing large pipe.....Oh yeah, what usually gets them is the 100hr work weeks when on call.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik J View Post
    There are good reasons the GOOD refrigeration Journeyman make more money! I have tried to take a good many experienced HVAC techs and throw them into the supermarket world. A bust every time! But, take a good supermarket J-man and send him on a chiller and it is like eating apple pie and ice cream. I consider HVAC work a vacation. HVAC techs spend too much time changing filters, cleaning coils and grills, changing/adjusting belts and playing around with simple controls. They simply are not practiced enough with meter, guages, refrigeration theory and dynamics, fitting and brazing large pipe.....Oh yeah, what usually gets them is the 100hr work weeks when on call.

Only 3 posts but I like this guy already!

Welcome aboard Erik

Originally Posted by Erik J View Post

Well that is the only real question I have I can work circles around most when it comes to refrigeration cycle. so that being said HOW DO YOU MAKE THE FREAKIN jump to refrigeration.

I find it hard to believe that men that are able to work on centri. chillers and tracer summitt and hockey arenas cant make good refrigeration techs...............ALL OF THEM WERE A BUST . THEN MAYBE THE TEACHER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Jesus, I love this guy!

Keep posting pickle!

For we, the designated *******s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JH4cLq_1ik
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Try this...if you are willing to move, call Virginia Refrigeration Inc. 800-798-9216. Don't know what state you will have to go but these people are begging for help and more OT than you will want. Tell the wife you will see them when you are burned out and used up. As far as pay goes I will say they pay about 1 1/2 times what the local HVAC guys make here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast