Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Arrow Refridgeration question

Hello

I have been doing HVAC for 5 yrs now and have been able to work on some refridgeration. A buddy of mine told me across the board refr. techs will make more than HVAC techs. I s this true? I have a opertunity to goto work for an refridg. company, what are yalls thoughts?

Welcome to the site..two word's..Spell check !

Do what make's YOU happy..

i cant speak for the entire trade but since learning refrigeration im making 3x + more per week then i was not knowing about it.

A good technician who has the interest, training, enthusiasm and really wants to learn all he can everyday he goes to work can earn good money in both trades. I would say a real good experienced refrigeration tech will most likely make a little more.

Twenty plus years ago, I was working in a supermarket meat room, and the lead butcher showed me a few applications for employment. The best was a fellow who wanted a job as a "meet cudder".

I never forgot what Don, the butcher said to me... "never hire anyone who can't spell the name of the job they want".

I'm not trying to be an ass, but you will have to submit many forms of paperwork that will be read by both your customer and your employer. If you sound ignorant, you will be perceived as such. Their perception is your reality.

Try typing in Microsoft Word, it will check grammar and spelling for you. Then copy/paste to the board.

You certainly should work to get into commercial refrigeration, it's a great trade. Best of luck to you.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

well its a good thing were not trying to be an ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by natepickle View Post
    well its a good thing were not trying to be an ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You ain't seen nothin' yet......

I've never been an HVAC tech, but I will tell you this - everything comes at a price. You may make more money, but there is a lot you will give up to do so.

I think HVAC people are pretty plentiful, where refrigeration techs are fewer and harder to find good ones. I had a company call a couple of days ago asking if I would be interested in a job. I turned him down as I am happy where I am, doing what I do. He called back 2 more times the same day offering more money. Although his second offer was a very gracious for this area I just was not interested. Finally he asked if I knew anyone that he could call. My point is I don't think HVAC guys get those calls so I would have to say there is more in refrigeration, but like some said it comes with a price like this offer was a 24/7 day job with more travel than most would want.
    Just my opinion

What is the best way to make the transition over? start all over again . i think not. My company only does higher end commercial hvac. How can i find a list of shops in my area?

pickle- I still think it's good advise, but plot your own course.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by natepickle View Post
    What is the best way to make the transition over? start all over again . i think not. My company only does higher end commercial hvac. How can i find a list of shops in my area?
    What does 'higher end commercial' even mean? Sounds like it should pay well if one was good at it.

As far as list of shops-- Yellow Pages, union hall?

Well unfortunatly we were sold and the company is trying to hold 70% margins therefore we are losing calls. I have been wanting to get into refrid side for a while. we have lost all of our wal marts due to the margins thus no refri. jobs

Well that is probably true but you will probably work 2 times more hours as well.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast