Thread: Modern Lennox vs Lennox of Yesteryear-Reliability

Post Likes

Modern Lennox vs Lennox of Yesteryear-Reliability

Impressed w/my current Armstrong straight A/C (1993) Rock solid, even though the heat exchanger burners were screwed up by installer-really haven't had any issues.

Thinking about adding Lennox to the mix next spring (along w/Amana, AS, Rheem,York, & Bryant) when getting estimates.

Old Lennox HVAC seem (from what I know) to be extremely durable. My Father in law's is 1985 HP that's still going strong w/zero maintenance, impressive. I've talked to others about how tough their old Lennox HVACs are.

Can newer Lennox units match their older counterpart's reliability and durability. I've read somethings of newer units that lead me to believe that its a big no

Post Likes
    I don't think anybodies unit of today. Is as well made as their units were 25 years ago.

Post Likes
    They sure dont build them like they use to.

Post Likes

Parts? Construction Practices? Labor Unions?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I don't think anybodies unit of today. Is as well made as their units were 25 years ago.
    Relying of technology too much? What's the prob?

Post Likes
    Closer tolerance on compressor parts.
    Thinner gauge metal.
    Mass prodution.
    Attemps to keep the price down, has forced lowr quality on some parts. So those parts have had the quality of some of the componets reduced.

Post Likes

This makes quality of installation all the more important

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Closer tolerance on compressor parts.
    Thinner gauge metal.
    Mass prodution.
    Attemps to keep the price down, has forced lowr quality on some parts. So those parts have had the quality of some of the componets reduced.
    Looks like less quality equipment + hack job = Migranes and ulcers for the HO.

I think most HO would gladly pony up more $$$$ for higher-built systems-knowing that might not ever have to be replaced (w/proper maintenance), but alas-we live in a disposable world or mass production and Wal-Mart.

Post Likes
    This trend started before Walmart became a common name.

Unfortunately. Many customers don't look past the price tag until after they have trouble.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post

I think most HO would gladly pony up more $$$$ for higher-built systems-knowing that might not ever have to be replaced (w/proper maintenance), but alas-we live in a disposable world or mass production and Wal-Mart.
    and so would most contractors

It stresses the customer contractor relation

Post Likes

I think most mass-marketers would gladly buy out such a higher-built brand name and sell it to death by replacing the good parts with cheap imported stuff, driving it down market and making $$$$ all the way until they held on to only the lower end of the market.

But that's just my viewpoint.

-HF

Post Likes

I remember the days

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    I think most mass-marketers would gladly buy out such a higher-built brand name and sell it to death by replacing the good parts with cheap imported stuff, driving it down market and making $$$$ all the way until they held on to only the lower end of the market.

But that's just my viewpoint.

-HF
    when you could pick up an item and it'd be heavy b/c it was built to last. My sister had a 1971 GE HVAC. Thing is STILL running to this very day. Amazing

I beginning to wax philosophical for olden days when quality meant something

Post Likes
    when you could pick up an item and it'd be heavy b/c it was built to last. My sister had a 1971 GE HVAC. Thing is STILL running to this very day. Amazing

I beginning to wax philosophical for olden days when quality meant something
    Quality does mean something GE makes one of the best nuclear warheads available today.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in