Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Return of WorryWart

A quick update on my sad tale of woe:

Dude comes out and attempts to solve problems by replacing metal with a flex return, putting flex on duct in entryway so guests are not deafened by the roar, putting a disconnect on the outside unit (but not inside), putting in a new condensate pump (but with no trap and still plugged inside the unit). I'll have to take a picture. Still quite a frankenstein.

Then less than a week later we get a wet cardboard smell of sorts coming up the return and moist air out the vents. Still droning noise from blower unit and noise from all vents. He says give it time to settle in and condition. I give it a week or so. No change.

I called in a company from 60 miles away (the closest as I could find) that is ACCA, NATE, BBB certified, etc. They took a look at the system and groaned. LOTS of problems. There are also duct issues that the first contractor apparently decided to overlook. They said, "Call a lawyer and have him tell the contractor to come get his unit."

So, I call the contractor and say that I feel the same as I did the morning after he installed the unit. It is not right for the house, isn't working right (did I mention our first electricity bills were 210 bucks when they had only run 140 or so with our ancient unit?). He says how was he supposed to know that the ducts weren't going to be sufficient (huh?), and the unit is good so it must be functioning well (way overcharged though it may be, with crimped lines and imminent compressor failure), and he's never had trouble with a unit before, and he needs us to let him fix it, and he thought the problem was fixed (huh?), and he won't eat the money, etc, etc, etc. Teachable moment: if you have trouble the moment a unit gets put in, put a hold on your check!!!! I learned that the hard way!

So, I am waiting to hear back from him (probaby that he isn't going to take it out noway, nohow). So, we will have to either eat the money and go into debt to have the whole mess fixed, or call my lawyer friend and ask him to apply pressure.

In a moment of whiney weakness I'll tell ya: It has ruined my summer, I don't sleep and my stomach hurts. Ugh. Anyway, you guys were so great to give me a crash course in basic HVAC a few weeks ago (so very kind to me), that I thought you deserved an update. More later....hopefully happier days ahead.

Forgot to mention in case it wasn't included in the monster thread several weeks ago....when he came out he bumped down the blower speed hoping it would solve the whole issue....which it didn't. But then I asked him to check refrigerant....said he didn't need to, didn't matter!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. A post like that is a sad tale, indeed. And...someone is bound to ask you this...what did the other company you had come in say about your system, specifically? Curiosity, if nothing else...but also a learning tool for the readership here.

Thanks for the update. Sorry it isn't better news.

Next time he ask you a question like how would he know the duct would be a problem.
    Remind him there are meters for that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Shophound, where do I begin? Same things that you and others mentioned just by looking at it:

(1) Ducts too small for the 3.5 ton system (sized for 1000 cfms), register openings too small for system
    (2) Return plenum not sealed (no bottom in it--just sides taped to the floor)
    (3) Fan speed wrong (knew that)
    (4) Overcharged
    (5) Lineset sized too small....also bent and crimped
    (6) No inside disconnect
    (7) Pump not plugged in receptacle.
    (8) No drain pan
    (9) All sorts of air problems on newly installed return....gaps, holes, leaks
    (10) Unsealed openings on indoor unit
    (11) Something about the supply plenum--dont' remember what
    (12) There were also wiring problems inside the air handler...didn't get all of that since they were murmuring to each other, looking at wires and shaking their heads

Just a general mess. You guys nailed it from all over the country--why couldn't this guy get it right?

Seems like there were more things, but can't remember them all.

Beenthere....problem is, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how to use them. If I was in a more jovial mood I would have laughed. He said, "How was I supposed to know? I'm not a prophet, I can't read the future!"

I'm sure he has more excuses also.

Have your lawyer send him a letter, with a date all is to be corrected by.
    If he doesn't have it fixed.
    He pays to have another company fix it.

Although. By his own admission. He can't fix it, because he can't tell what size duct is needed. So how can he know how to fix it.
    Contractor locator map

He would try nonetheless....and we can't afford (literally) to have him make any more messes. I feel like we gave him a month to correct the issues....he didn't, but instead made more messes. Now I want my money, and peacefully go our separate ways and never see him again!

Is there any way to link the original thread to this one? How do I retrieve that link?

You mean your"Help I'm in series trouble" thread.

Just click on your name, go to profile, click on find all threads started by. And it will show you the thread, then copy location and paste. Like below.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=173583
    Contractor locator map

Thank you, BeenThere!

Here is your original thread http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=173583

You can copy it and use the insert link to put it in your post.

little slow here, never mind.
    Last edited by captube; 07-21-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: late

Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Here is your original thread
    You can copy it and use the insert link to put it in your post.

little slow here, never mind.
    I was faster.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I was faster.

If he removed all the junk from the house we could probably fix it before i could type all this.

edit: he, as in who ever installed it. hated to say contractor
    Last edited by captube; 07-21-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast