New to Chilled Water AC System Airside - Help needed

We're opening a restaurant business in a modern shopping mall that uses a "chilled water" central AC system. We were told that as a tenant, what we're provided into our space is not "sufficiently cold or purified" without some sort of Airside System (or Airside fans) installed on our end.

So I'd like to know exactly what kind of system we're looking at and what's the approximate price/maintanence range for it? I'm asking this because we were quoted by a local HVAC company for about 70 grand.

It'd be appreciated if you may give us some suggestions. Thanks.

I have not done any mall job lately that was anywhere near the inexpensive. I have not seen one for under 100k in quite a while.

Thanks very much for your response.

We'd like to know is a system like this really necessary? What exactly does it do and what would happen without it?

Everyday people shop at malls and I've never given "HVAC" any thought. To me malls are always fresh and cool. Is every store using one of these systems? Isn't it the mall's responsibility to provide capable AC?

Thanks.
    Last edited by toptalent; 07-21-2008 at 07:07 PM.

p.s. Our space is 6200sq.

Quote Originally Posted by toptalent View Post
    We're opening a restaurant business in a modern shopping mall that uses a "chilled water" central AC system. We were told that as a tenant, what we're provided into our space is not "sufficiently cold or purified" without some sort of Airside System (or Airside fans) installed on our end.

It'd be appreciated if you may give us some suggestions. Thanks.
    read your lease. chw supply should be 42 degrees. that's plenty cold enough. you may have to upgrade your airside for code requirements or increased heatload.

Is it the labor or the airside system hardware itself that makes up most of the cost? If it's the hardware, where should I look for? Who sells these airside systems?

You may need a grease hood and that requires both exhaust and make up air. What sort of heat generating appliances will you be installing? Is there anything like that in the existing space?

Generally speaking from my experience in malls, and boy do I not miss trying to set up step ladders amongst display cases and racks of clothes, the air handlers are sufficiently sized due to the enormous lighting load in most retail spaces. So my guess is that the base system should do your dining area just fine. It shoud be a matter of heat loads you add in the kitchen, baking, grilling, fryers, dish washing, small refrigeration units, ice cream cases, reach in boxes, walk in freezers. These loads can add up and require addional cooling.

Don't forget to think about how a mechanic will service whatever it is you finally put in!