Lennox XP16 ?

Thread: Lennox XP16 ?

Lennox XP16 ?

I live in NE Texas where the temp is reaching 100 deg. this time of year. We just built a new 2900 sf house with spray in foam insulation. The hvac guy recommended a Lennox 4 ton 2 stage heat pump, XP16-048-230-03 with a ERV system. Is it common for this unit to run for 12 + hrs with out ever shutting off. It runs from low speed to hi speed back to low all day long. The temp is maintained to the degree, never going above set point. We built this house trying to save on our utility bills, but I don’t see how we are saving any if the unit never shuts off. Your thoughts please.

A 2 stage unit is more for comfort than saving energy. Running on low speed it will run longer, heat or cool more evenly and remove more humidity.

That being said there are many wys to control the unit to meet your needs. First off how is your system controlled? Depending on the thermostat there should be different ways to set it up.
    Its a good Life!

In first stage, it uses less electric, so your bill may be far lower then you think it will be.

As above, There are usually settings that can be made to the stat to make it shut off.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Not being able to check the model # number right now the thermostat is a lennox programmable stat. We normally keep it set at 74 degrees. When the outside temp is in the 80s the unit will cycle off periodically, but when the temps reaches 90s the unit runs constantly. Like I stated earlier the set point and inside temp never varies. The unit will run in low speed for about 20 mins than kicks up to hi speed for about 10 -15 mins than back to low speed again. It will continue to do this until the outside temp cools down, sometimes up to 12+ hrs.

Can you determine what thermostat it is from this page? http://www.lennox.com/products/list.asp?type=5

Look to see if you have the install manual.

It will tell you all you need to know about the stat.

Or call the installers back, and they can set it up for you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ryan, it's the ComfortSense™ 5000 Series Touchscreen Thermostat, and yes I do have the manuals at home

Sounds good to me! Figure on low it's running at 75% capacity so it does have reserve in case it gets even hotter though I'd think 100° is enough. Don't send it our way