Thread: Extended warranty?

Post Likes

Extended warranty?

Hi all-

I'm about to purchase a new furnace, and was wondering about extended warrantees. I'll likely get either a Ruud or American Standard (80%, 2-stage, regular fan). From what I understand, these are good furnaces and I trust the contractor to do quality work, so I wonder if I need to shell out even more since I'm already buying quality?

What are some opinions out there? Both furnaces come with 1 year labor, 5-year parts, and 20-year heat exchanger (part and labor for AS, part only for Ruud).

This is a great site, I've learned so much. Thank you!
    Amy
    Portland, OR

Post Likes
    On some repairs, the labor cost more then the repair.

Post Likes
    I've learned the hard way that labor can cost more than the parts, which is why I'm considering an extended warranty (that would cover parts + labor). But I don't buy an extended warranty for my Toyota since I'm buying reliability upfront, wondering if the same reasoning applies to furnaces.

Post Likes
    How often do you drive your Toyota for 6 hours a day.
    When its 20* outside your furnace may run for 10 hours out of the day.

If your Toyota had the same run time as the average furnace, it would need replaced in 5 years.

Post Likes
    do you have ac also or just heat

Post Likes
    Thanks, beenthere and catmanacman.

Catman- I'm only doing heat. I used about 560 therms in 2007 with my 40-yr old furnace, if that helps give an idea of useage.

Beenthere- I used the car comparison to make a point about warrantees, not to compare a car to a furnace! For some products, warrantees can be a waste of money (or at least I feel an extended warranty on my Toyota is). I don't know much about furnaces. Maybe, no matter how good the brand and install, things will go wrong. And that the chances are high enough and the repairs costly enough to make the purchase of an extended warranty a wise thing to do.

If you couldn't do your own repairs, would you buy an extended warranty?

Thanks again!
    Amy

Post Likes
    Probably.

I get an extended warranty on most important things I buy.

Post Likes
    i have repaired many furnaces less than 10 years old all brands and with the price of labor going up yes i recommend it

Post Likes
    the biggest thing to remember about an extended warranty is you have to keep the furnace maintained or the warranty is voided. this is per the manufacturer not the contractor but i would definitely buy one. it well worth the money

Post Likes

Talking

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS the parts and labor goes up every day and this will lock you in for 10 years with todays prices.

Post Likes
    HVAC is what I do for a living and I buy extended warranties on all my own personal equipment. Why? because for 10 years it won't cost me one more dime to own my system except for air filters. We won't talk about the energy bills. other than to say when you buy the most efficient you can afford the increased costs to opperate will affect you less.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in