Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos of Attic Air Handler/Duct Install - Please Advise

Post Likes

Photos of Attic Air Handler/Duct Install - Please Advise

I'm in the midst of a resolving issues with my builder over the installation of a new split system that is spec'd out to be Goodman/16 Seer. I posted these photos to give the forum an idea of what part of my situation is. I'm not a DIY, just a homeowner trying to get smarter on what is considered to be a "proper installation". Any advice or comments on the installation would be appreciated.
    What about plenums for the air handler connections to supply and return?
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    One question to ask is, how is a contractor going to access the unit for service? My local code calls for a minimum of 30" on the service side of unit. I don't think you've got that from looking at the pictures. Primary drain line not insulated but might not be needed in your area. Is this a "completed " job, or a work in progress?

Post Likes
    txv should be insulated, flex in last pic looks kind of kinked.

Post Likes
    It's a completed job. Actually, the contractor was already in here twice correcting various issues. The original drains had running traps, and he replaced them with P Traps, but didn't install insulation around the drains, which is also a code requirement. You are correct about the accessibility issue, it is a code requirement in SC. Thanks for the feedback.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rb282 View Post
    It's a completed job. Actually, the contractor was already in here twice correcting various issues. The original drains had running traps, and he replaced them with P Traps, but didn't install insulation around the drains, which is also a code requirement. You are correct about the accessibility issue, it is a code requirement in SC. Thanks for the feedback.
    I have a feeling he'll be back a few more times cleaning up his mess. There are a few more issues that need to be addressed. I'll let the others here comment on these things. I like the way the decking was "customized" to allow for the "P" trap.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Very nice job ,

of seling with mastic,downhill after that.

The supply and return "plenums" are non-existent,likly causing high static and low air flow.I'd want the ESP(external static pressure,think resistance to airflow) of the duct system tested.

Post Likes
    Could you post the company’s name and what the city are you from?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gena View Post
    Could you post the company’s name and what the city are you from?
    No. This isn't the "Bash The Contractor" web page. Email him if you want that info.

Post Likes
    Well, but it’s not against the rules of this website, I just checked it out. Beside that rb282 doesn’t have email address in his profile.

Post Likes
    Well, but it’s not against the rules of this website, I just checked it out. Beside that rb282 doesn’t have email address in his profile.
    OK then, go for it. See how long it stays up. If rb wants you to know, he'll contact you. Might not be against any rule but, it just isn't done here. We all agree this install has some problems but, let's see if the contractor will make things right before this goes any farther.

Post Likes
    they really horse legged that line set..

Post Likes
    In my opinion if more heating contractors have been visited this website we won’t be seeing pictures like these!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sir fix alot View Post
    they really horse legged that line set..
    And it also crushed one of those ducts to about half capacity. This list can go on and on. And will.

Post Likes
    Sometimes you get what you pay for. Looks like low bidder won the job.
    Not what it use to be

Post Likes
    In my opinion if more heating contractors have been visited this website we won’t be seeing pictures like these!
    Go look at "The Wall Of Shame". See if you still think the same. Work like this make all the good guys look like bums. It's a shame but, it's true.

Post Likes
    is it me or is the ah laying in the drain pan?

Post Likes
    I bet this job is in Anderson SC. Some contractor here spread mastic on the AHU and the duct insulation and say they have sealed the ducts.
    No supply and return plenums.

RB282

Ask the builder to see the copy of the Manual J and D. Watch him wiggle.
    Ask to see the HVAC contractors license.
    Ask to see the dampers, if there is none ask how is he going to balance the load.
    Ask if the HVAC contractor sized the unit to the sensible and latent heat load.

Make him do it right IAW code and ACCA.

Its your house and money.

STUD

PS email me
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-02-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: email address removed - put it in your profile

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    I bet this job is in Anderson SC. Some contractor here spread mastic on the AHU and the duct insulation and say they have sealed the ducts.
    No supply and return plenums.

RB282

Ask the builder to see the copy of the Manual J and D. Watch him wiggle.
    Ask to see the HVAC contractors license.
    Ask to see the dampers, if there is none ask how is he going to balance the load.
    Ask if the HVAC contractor sized the unit to the sensible and latent heat load.

Make him do it right IAW code and ACCA.

STUD

PS email me
    What makes you think they pulled a permit?
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-02-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post

STUD

PS email me
    PS: No email addresses in post.
    Edit it out.

Post Likes
    I don't see no plenums.

I see air flow issues.

I see you learning the names of all the HVAC contractors service guys. Quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in