Lack of Cooling Call

Went on a call-out to a lack of cooling call. New customer, not home. Pulled into the driveway to find an obvious newer addition on the house. This can't be good. 2 Ton A/C with matched coil.

Note left with baby-sitter (think 80 year old and wrinkly - no fantasies here) said "worked last year."

Opened door to unfinished part of celler to find:

Then I made it to the furnace. Looks like Mr. Owner tied into the the HUM terminal on the circuit board with...what's this? A dimmer switch!!

Gotta love the Romex with no connectors. Romex in spade terminals directly on the board...

And what does this dimmer run? Look Benji! A duct booster!

Conclusion...A/C too small with addition on house. Addition not cooling due to crushed flex duct.

Still waiting to find out if the customer wants his job piped properly; A/C & heat upgraded.
    Last edited by Punky; 07-20-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Forgot image tags

Most dimmers specifically say "Not to be used as a motor speed control" right on the packaging.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Most dimmers specifically say "Not to be used as a motor speed control" right on the packaging.
    That is ONLY VALID if you know how to read.....

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.