Thread: Is there a way to force a Carrier Infinity 2-stage into low stage?

Post Likes

Is there a way to force a Carrier Infinity 2-stage into low stage?

First of all, here is my equipment:

Carrier Infinity 17 condensing unit, model #24ANB748A003
    Carrier Infinity furnace, model #59MN7A080V21
    Carrier evaporator coil, model #CNPVP4821ALAAAA
    Carrier Infinity thermostat, model #SYSTXCCITN01

Is there a way to force the compressor to be in low stage all the time? The system is clearly defective and is in high stage almost all of the time even when the temperature in the house is at the set point. I understand that the best thing is to actually fix the system, but I am putting in a new Trane system in a few months even though the Carrier system is so new (it’s a long story, too much to go into here) so in the meantime I just want to know if there is a way to force this into low stage all the time.

My Trane contractor will be coming over soon and I would like to be able to pass on explicit instructions to him on how to do this. He said he does not know enough about Carriers to do this.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    OK, I have 87 views so far with zero replies... does this mean it is not possible?

There is a thread from a few years back that mentions doing this but I am not allowed to post on that thread so I have no way to pursue it. There must be a way to do this!

Post Likes
    I want to hear the story why you're replacing the young Carrier system.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    I want to hear the story why you're replacing the young Carrier system.
    The story is really very sad... the company that installed it was way in over their heads and messed it up in so many ways that I could write an essay. It was a very expensive job (that included re-ducting an entire 4000 square foot house) and they ran into problems they were not expecting. Even though it was firmly bid job, at one point the owner asked me if I would be willing to pay more than the original bid and I agreed. I was trying to act in good faith. And many months had gone by at this point so he also asked if I could make a partial payment on the job (in addition to the down payment I had already made) even though the job had not been completed yet, and even though the bid did not require any progressive payments. I agreed to that as well, since again, I was trying to act in good faith. Big mistake.

I paid 70% of the entire job and agreed to pay the remaining 30% when it was done. They really had seemed to be honest and competent people so I didn’t think this was such a big risk. I had seen them almost every day for months at this point (the re-ducting took a long time) and thought we had developed a genuine friendship. But as soon as the check cleared for the 70% they disappeared. They were in over their heads, apparently realized it, and just wanted to break even (or close to it) and were willing to forgo the other 30% to be able to walk away.

They didn’t literally just disappear; they are still in business. They just refused to return my calls or answer my emails.

But that’s not even the bad part. This is in a relatively small town where there are only a limited number of Carrier dealers and they are all friends. In order to preserve their reputation, they poisoned the well and made us out to be the bad guys, and told everyone that we had refused to make payments as we were supposed to – even though the bid did not require any money to be paid (past the down payment) until the job was done, and we had made a progressive payment anyway. So they effectively blacklisted us. I called numerous Carrier dealers to come fix the system and they were happy to do so... until a couple days later when I would get a call saying that they did not want our business. I offered to send the bid and cancelled checks to them so that they could see that I had actually paid all I was required to – and more -- and literally begged people to come to my house so that they could see for themselves that the system did not work properly, but as I said, these dealers are all friends so they refused.

So what am I to do at this point? I called Carrier and got the speech that these are independent businesses and this is between me and them. I pushed this as far as I could with Carrier; I got nowhere.

And yes, I could sue them, but in order to do that I need to have another HVAC contractor be a witness that the system does not work properly and nobody wants to get involved. I am not blacklisted with the other dealer networks (like Trane, Rheem or Lennox) and I have already had more than one dealer here and they saw that the system is indeed totally defective. So sure, I could subpoena one of them into court... but then nobody will ever want to come to this house again! This is just how it is a relatively small town.

I have thought about this a lot, and even though I really am filled with rage over this – and am out a significant amount of hard-earned money – I have decided that the only way to proceed is to turn the other cheek, write this up to a bad experience, and just start over. There really is no other good course of action for me. I can push things and be aggressive but that just is not going to get me where I want to go. It is hot out now, my wife has some serious health problems (cancer) that require her to have a place she where she can get some rest, and I just need air conditioning that works. So I have had a couple dealers give bids on a new system and I am just going to have to buy a new one.

I am not the kind of person who always walks away from a confrontation. But this is just one that I cannot win so I need to move on. There is no way to get the original dealer to do what he should and in legal matters only the attorneys win.

Maybe that was more than you wanted to read... but you asked!

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    What area of the world are you living in?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by ndeverest View Post
    The story is really very sad... the company that installed it was way in over their heads and messed it up in so many ways that I could write an essay. It was a very expensive job (that included re-ducting an entire 4000 square foot house) and they ran into problems they were not expecting. Even though it was firmly bid job, at one point the owner asked me if I would be willing to pay more than the original bid and I agreed. I was trying to act in good faith. And many months had gone by at this point so he also asked if I could make a partial payment on the job (in addition to the down payment I had already made) even though the job had not been completed yet, and even though the bid did not require any progressive payments. I agreed to that as well, since again, I was trying to act in good faith. Big mistake.

I paid 70% of the entire job and agreed to pay the remaining 30% when it was done. They really had seemed to be honest and competent people so I didn’t think this was such a big risk. I had seen them almost every day for months at this point (the re-ducting took a long time) and thought we had developed a genuine friendship. But as soon as the check cleared for the 70% they disappeared. They were in over their heads, apparently realized it, and just wanted to break even (or close to it) and were willing to forgo the other 30% to be able to walk away.

They didn’t literally just disappear; they are still in business. They just refused to return my calls or answer my emails.

But that’s not even the bad part. This is in a relatively small town where there are only a limited number of Carrier dealers and they are all friends. In order to preserve their reputation, they poisoned the well and made us out to be the bad guys, and told everyone that we had refused to make payments as we were supposed to – even though the bid did not require any money to be paid (past the down payment) until the job was done, and we had made a progressive payment anyway. So they effectively blacklisted us. I called numerous Carrier dealers to come fix the system and they were happy to do so... until a couple days later when I would get a call saying that they did not want our business. I offered to send the bid and cancelled checks to them so that they could see that I had actually paid all I was required to – and more -- and literally begged people to come to my house so that they could see for themselves that the system did not work properly, but as I said, these dealers are all friends so they refused.

So what am I to do at this point? I called Carrier and got the speech that these are independent businesses and this is between me and them. I pushed this as far as I could with Carrier; I got nowhere.

And yes, I could sue them, but in order to do that I need to have another HVAC contractor be a witness that the system does not work properly and nobody wants to get involved. I am not blacklisted with the other dealer networks (like Trane, Rheem or Lennox) and I have already had more than one dealer here and they saw that the system is indeed totally defective. So sure, I could subpoena one of them into court... but then nobody will ever want to come to this house again! This is just how it is a relatively small town.

I have thought about this a lot, and even though I really am filled with rage over this – and am out a significant amount of hard-earned money – I have decided that the only way to proceed is to turn the other cheek, write this up to a bad experience, and just start over. There really is no other good course of action for me. I can push things and be aggressive but that just is not going to get me where I want to go. It is hot out now, my wife has some serious health problems (cancer) that require her to have a place she where she can get some rest, and I just need air conditioning that works. So I have had a couple dealers give bids on a new system and I am just going to have to buy a new one.

I am not the kind of person who always walks away from a confrontation. But this is just one that I cannot win so I need to move on. There is no way to get the original dealer to do what he should and in legal matters only the attorneys win.

Maybe that was more than you wanted to read... but you asked!
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    the company does not have to be a carrier dealer to repair it or warranty parts ,im not conviced the unit is defective beyond repair .

Post Likes
    I'll take the carrier, I'll come pick it up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I'll take the carrier, I'll come pick it up.
    Once I have a replacement that would be fine with me!

But in the meantime, since it is going to be a few months before I can get the new system in, is there a way to keep this at low stage? At high stage it is so noisy we can't even be in our house. And it is in high stage most of the time no matter what we do. At this point, even though we live in a hot and humid area, we are not using our AC. It's miserable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    the company does not have to be a carrier dealer to repair it or warranty parts ,im not convinced the unit is defective beyond repair .
    Well, it has confounded every contractor (non-Carrier ones) who has looked at it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What area of the world are you living in?

PHM
    -------
    The Midwest

Post Likes
    Would have to convert it over to a standard 24 volt control system, as far as I know.

Not that hard to do, if its not zoned.

Post Likes
    sounds like the duct work is the issue

Post Likes
    Ok, now I gotta wonder what ductwork took months of onsite work to complete... 4000 feet isn't too bad, 4 tons... Only system? Do you have duct layout drawings?
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

14. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    Ok, now I gotta wonder what ductwork took months of onsite work to complete... 4000 feet isn't too bad, 4 tons... Only system? Do you have duct layout drawings?
    The long timeframe for duct replacement also caught my eye. Months to reduct a 4,000 square foot house? Makes me wonder if this is one of those giraffe barn type homes with lofty ceilings and framing that makes running HVAC duct a real PITA. Even so I can't see it taking "months" to do.

So, what I derive from the OP's sad story above is that the system functions but is so noisy that it drives them crazy, to the point he and his cancer stricken spouse would rather sweat and be miserable that way vs. be cool but live with insane noise.

What if the existing Carrier equipment is adequate for the house square footage but is attached to a crappy duct system? One that took "months" to install? (Translation: it was installed piecemeal by installers rushed out to the house to get a section of it done by a company that may have severe cash flow and time management problems). Meaning OP might be able to retain existing Carrier Infinity if someone that truly understands how to correctly design and install ducts is brought into the picture.

OP, there's no guarantee your Trane guy is any better than the Carrier dealer. Ripping it out and starting completely over would only be advisable if you had not only confidence, but EVIDENCE, your new chosen contractor has the competency to design and install to your house configuration.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    No it cant be locked in low cool, heating only-- you can change the air flow ...comfort, efficiency and noise for zone systems-- Infinity is awesome, it is sad that bad installs give it a bad rap...

Post Likes
    I hope the homeowner can click on the contractor locator link, and find one of us nearby to come out and evaluate the system and decide what is best to do...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in