Fan not turning off after reaching set temp.

I have a Carrier installed home cooling system, the contractor installed a thermostat to go with the system (model: TSTATCCPDF01-B). Cooling works fine except that the blower fan never seems to turn off after the set temperature is reached. What I've noticed is that if I set the temperature to say 78 F and the room temperature is currently 82, cooling kicks in and the A/C stops after reaching 78F. The blower fan keeps running and eventually the A/C kicks in again when temperature goes over 78. The only time the fan turns off is if I take the temperature setting to 80 or higher (when the room has cooled to 78). The blower fan seems to be running 24 hours every day and this does not seem normal. I looked at the operating instructions for the thermostat (not the user's manual) and I did not see any option to specifically control the blower fan.
    Is this normal operation ?, if not is this something I can try and fix or should I call the contractor?
    Thanks.

make sure the fan is in the auto position on the stat....

if it is and it continues to run, call your contractor to come identify and fix the problem.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Is your A/C 2-stage? Does your thermostat say it is in cooling mode when the fan continues to blow but the compressor is off or does the t-stat say it is not currently cooling?

Doesn't sound normal according to your description. Call the installing contractor and have him fix it.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

if stat is set to auto, when set-up properly, the fan should cycle off with the condenser!

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    Is your A/C 2-stage? Does your thermostat say it is in cooling mode when the fan continues to blow but the compressor is off or does the t-stat say it is not currently cooling?
    Yes, it says it is cooling when the compressor is off with the blower still running. What does that mean ? At this point if I turn up the temperature setting a couple of degrees then it stops saying "cooling" and the blower turns off. I'm not sure if is a 2-stage A/C, how can I tell ?, this unit is a puron based one installed 2 years ago. What would be different if it is a 2-stage A/C?

Call the contractor. I had the exact same problem with my 2-stage heat pump. It turned out that the Y1 and Y2 heat pump wires were accidentally switched. It shouldn't be anything more than a 5-minute wiring job for your contractor. But, he should fix his mistake and learn what he did wrong in order to avoid it happening again.

Its been doing this for 2 years?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its been doing this for 2 years?
    To be honest I don't know. Just noticed it this year. I only use the A/C during 90+ weather (which is not often in Erie PA) so it is possible that the problem existed all along and I never noticed it during the few times I used it.

You need your contractor, or another service company to check it out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    Call the contractor. I had the exact same problem with my 2-stage heat pump. It turned out that the Y1 and Y2 heat pump wires were accidentally switched. It shouldn't be anything more than a 5-minute wiring job for your contractor. But, he should fix his mistake and learn what he did wrong in order to avoid it happening again.
    Bingo !
    That was the problem with my case as well (Y1/Y2 switched). So, I asked the contractor if they installed it wrong and after a bit of a hesitation he said: "well, yep" !!!

So did you get it fixed for free? If so, congrats!