Louisnana home HVAC/heatpump upgrades - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mchild View Post
    Installation costs should be less as running the refrigerant lines should be an easier task than the expansive ducting required for a typical multi-zoned system. No bypass ducting, no over sized ducts, no requirement that ducting take up space going from one floor to another, and no dampers.
    In your other post you said they had ducted units.

The next problem he'll run into, is finding someone qualified to install and work on them.
    Plus, if he can only find one comany in his area. If he doesn't like them, he is stuck with them. As other companies may not want to have anything to do with the units.
    This is just one of many things that need to be considered before investing in those type systems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    In your other post you said they had ducted units.

The next problem he'll run into, is finding someone qualified to install and work on them.
    Plus, if he can only find one comany in his area. If he doesn't like them, he is stuck with them. As other companies may not want to have anything to do with the units.
    This is just one of many things that need to be considered before investing in those type systems.
    Yes, I am speaking of ducted units and the OP wanted ducted units. The point I was attempting to make (apparently not very well) was that running the refrigerant lines to the various zones was easier and cheaper than running ducting between all the zones and back to a single air handler.

With these systems each zone would have ducting, but rather simplistic relatively short runs confined to that zone, again, in comparison to a system that is multi-zoned by way of the ducting.

Your point about service and install support should be something that anyone considering one of these systems investigates and is comfortable with. Because Daikin has the largest share of the market for these types of systems they generally have the most support, but each manufacturer should be checked out for the number of companies providing service support. As these systems are more widely accepted more support should be available. This would also be true of the Nordyne system.

Quote Originally Posted by benjacool View Post
    I forgot to mention, a nordyne rep informed me that IQ drive heatpumps are coming early 2009. 21 SEER and 9.5 HSPF, IIRC.

Do any of the VRV/VRF split multi systems operate as AC and heatpump? Daikin appears to be either/or but not both. I do like the layout of that system, I think five tonnes might be attainable in my house (especially considering the zoning can follow the solar load from east to west).
    Depending on the diversity of the building up may be able to get away with less cooling capacity than with a typical heat pump. If you have not already had it done get a detailed room by room load calc done.

Daikin has a software system that they can input all of your specifics, outdoor unit, number and sizing of indoor units, design temps in and out for summer and winter and then it will spit out the real world capacities of each indoor unit at the design condition. The other manufactures may be able to do the same.

The more zones you have the better and getting as close to the 130% connection ratio the better for operating efficiency.

Will an ECM blower, and a control system with an LAT sensor automatically adjust performance to match zone demands?

Is there such a system?

Who do you think has the best integration of zoning and compressor/blower performance?

Carrier.
    Contractor locator map

if you truly want to be able to size your hvac system correctly you should first
    fix the house, then the sizing of the hvac system will be reduced.

http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv...idential/hero/

if you decide to participate a rater will come to your house before any improvements are
    made. testing of the house with a blower door and also testing of ductwork will be performed. once you fix the house leakage..and the duct leakage the savings will be in smaller system.

recommendations of hvac will be provided with this rating.these recommendations are unbiased as all raters are independent contractors. there is a fee, so see the website for more info.

best of luck to you
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

variable speed compressor cost

I realize we aren't supposed to ask questions regarding pricing, but could anyone give me an idea of how much more a Nordyne based 23 SEER outdoor unit and ECM air handler/evap. coil would have over a conventional dual-stage 16 SEER outdoor unit and ECM air handler/evap. coil? Say 36k BTU range.

I'm still trying to determine where my best SEER value to ROI crossover will be. It sounds like it won't be a 21 SEER heatpump though.

A carrier rep recently visited the oil production platform I work on, we had an in depth discussion regarding the infinity system... A system that works that well might be a worthwhile trade for a few SEER less.

Since Friday, I have been running the whole house on 3 tonnes, since a dryer/filter has developed a leak on the 4 tonne unit and tripped off the compressor on therm overload. Its working nearly 100%, but its keeping about 80% of the house comfortable (with two box fans to aid circulation, and the 4 tonne air handler running). It was 98F today.

Since we don't know what the 16 SEER cost in your area, we don't know what a 21 SEER will cost you.

Call and get an estimate.

If a 3 ton is keeping 80% of the house cool. Kinda sounds like the dead 4 ton is over sized, doesn't it.
    Contractor locator map

I found a westinghouse branded nordyne 23 SEER AC packaged system listed on a wholesaler's site, and a conventional 16 SEER goodman packaged system. Both were four tonnes. The Nordyne cost 4500 MORE then the Goodman. Ouch.

When looking at a high end system like the IQ drive, payback is not the only consideration. The primary goal of the IQ Drive is COMFORT.

You weren't comparing the same type appliances.

Now edit out the price difference.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12