Thread: 20 degrees?

20 degrees?

It's my understanding that the air conditioning cannot get the house cooler than 20 degrees from the outside temperature. Is the "outside temperature" considered to be the temperature in the sun or rather in the shade or perhaps by the outdoor unit? Is 20 degrees an industry standard or just an approximation?

Where did you get your information from?

The maximum temperature differential between inside and outside is dependant on sun exposure, insulation, windows, internal heat gain, and equipment size.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Depends solely on system design.

We design ours with a comfort guarantee that says it will maintain 75* inside on a 95* day. (ambient)

It's my understanding that the air conditioning cannot get the house cooler than 20 degrees from the outside temperature.

WHAT?! Are you suggesting that homes in Arizona never get cooler than 100 degrees inside when the outside is 120?
    holy shnikeys!

it is system design, capacity

I'm guessing your contractor told you that to explain with you can't maintain the temp in your house that you want.

As others have said. the system can be designed for more or less difference.
    Varies with area.

We generally design for 23 to 25° difference. Depending on the customer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i thought that most heat loads are figured with an odt of no more than 95. i live in pa so i guess this would vary from region to reigon,

well cascade systems can get down well below -80 Fahrenheit. So I guess who ever told you that was full of s---! If you have a properly sized air conditioning system it should be able to keep you're home at any reasonable desired temp. Unless you have all you're doors and windows open.

Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    i thought that most heat loads are figured with an odt of no more than 95. i live in pa so i guess this would vary from region to reigon,
    In PA, most are done at an OD temp of 95 or less.

In other states, 100 and higher are normal OD design temps.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?