Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do keg-cooler beer boxes work?

These are a draft dispenser system with the boxes under / taps on top. Are they any different than any box that size would be? If there were under-counter reach-ins for example?

The evap fans cycle off with the compressor. That seems wrong to me. Is there any reason for it? Other than previous lazyness or incompetence?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Keg Boxes...

They're essentially the same as any other self-contained cooler. The only difference I've seen is some, like Beverage-Aire, use a discharge air sensing thermostat that has an 8F differential rather than a coil sensing constant cut-in thermostat like most reach-ins do.

The evaporator fans must run constantly for proper off-cycle air defrost.

i have never seen one cycle the evap fans.

never really see one with enough refrigeration to keep the box at the 34-35 deg the customer expects either.............

Thanks -

I scratched my head over that evap fan setup for a minute. Then I checked the duplicate unit on the other side of the bar. It works the exact same way. <g>

Then I thought - how can scraggly old beermeisters be any different than any other little refrigerator?

There was some big golf thing going on so I just got it going and arranged to come back on a slow morning. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    They're essentially the same as any other self-contained cooler. The only difference I've seen is some, like Beverage-Aire, use a discharge air sensing thermostat that has an 8F differential rather than a coil sensing constant cut-in thermostat like most reach-ins do.

The evaporator fans must run constantly for proper off-cycle air defrost.
    ice know's everything about keeping beer coldLOL
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

I've only worked on units that the evaporator fans stay on all the time, not only to help in defrost but some have hoses coming from the air supply to send cold air up the dispencing tower
    If your not part of the solution, You must be part of the problem

None of it seemed right to me

These have the tap hoses off the evaps too.

So any time the box is at temp - then what? The dispenser heads are OK to be warm? That can't be right.

It all seemed wrong to me, but then when both of them operated the same way . . . . <g>

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
    I've only worked on units that the evaporator fans stay on all the time, not only to help in defrost but some have hoses coming from the air supply to send cold air up the dispencing tower
    PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
    Just did one over the weekend and worked just like he said. Waiting for the whole thing to go south, the morons built the bar around it.

fans must run!!!

On direct draw boxes with taps on top fans must run not only for defrost but for keeping beer cold in tap tower.

Sounds like someone has been working on them prior to you.
    My advice is to get wiring diagram if available and prove to yourself the fans should be running constant.
    I'm lost, I've gone to look for myself.

Bad-Beer-Box News -

Bar people insist it has "been fine" for years.

But I moved the fan wire to the other side of the stat - for constant run. And replaced the noisy evap fan - maybe it has been stopping when I wasn't there? I did see the coil all frozen one time - but they are holding one badly gasketed door shut with duct tape too, so who knows?

Added some refrigerant but thought the head too high so I pulled it all, vacuum pumped and drank beer for a while, and then recharged. Still higher head that I wanted and the box stayed too warm to thrill me (dropped from 72 to 50 but then paused there) but they closed up shop and that was that.

I asked the girls to call me if things were not happy the next day. Not sure any more when that would be. Yesterday or today maybe. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    These are a draft dispenser system with the boxes under / taps on top. Are they any different than any box that size would be? If there were under-counter reach-ins for example?

The evap fans cycle off with the compressor. That seems wrong to me. Is there any reason for it? Other than previous lazyness or incompetence?
    Some of the newer beer walk-ins we've installed use an electric defrost coil so they can run the box right around 32-33 degrees without coil icing. When you use an electric defrost coil in this application, the fan thermodisc must be bypassed so the fans run all the time except when in defrost. What you may be seeing is, someone didn't bypass the fan thermodisc and the fans are cycling as the coil chills then warms.

it's for energy efficiency. It's a HYbrid.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

I haven't seen alot of new direct draw keg coolers but have seen alot of old ones and all are pretty basic setup just like bar style beverage coolers.
    I'm lost, I've gone to look for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast