Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Frost on a/c coil, why?

Hi everyone,

I found this site while looking to see if I actually have a problem with my air conditioner. It seems like my house is not quite as coll this summer as it has been in the past, it's not intolerable, just not super duper cold!

I see some frost is getting on the coil and when I told my best friend who is a neighbor, he said he didn't think it should be frosting, but wasn't sure.

I think it's not the problem, I figured air conditioners get really cold so some frosting is okay.

If anyone can tell me for sure if this the problem, I thank you. If you need anymore details I'll do the best I can to get them.

Are you joking.

Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    Are you joking.
    ?

Most definitely a problem, and it needs to be checked out by a service company. Running the unit like that is very bad for the system. Air can't pass through a sheet of ice.

Is that something they usually charge for?

I called a guy I work with and he said it just wasn't carrying the cold into the house. Can I just hose it off?

Quote Originally Posted by jhooker View Post
    Is that something they usually charge for?

I called a guy I work with and he said it just wasn't carrying the cold into the house. Can I just hose it off?
    Like I said!!!!!!!!!

Yes, having service done on your unit is indeed a service and does cost money. Hosing the frost off won't be of much help. Your system has a problem somewhere causing the frosting and it is not good for your system to let it continue to run like this. I'd rather service the unit now then pay for a new unit/system down the road when it breaks from this.

Looks like a good place to set your beer while B-B-Q ing.

Your way of reducing global warming

why would the condenser freeze, unless its a heat pump and in that case, isn't it July?

I know that it isn't a heat pump because that's one of things we asked when we bought this house. We pay a gas bill in the winter.

My brother came and looked at it and said if the house felt okay inside we should be okay.

hehehe get some marshmallows and sticks and have some frozen marshmallows

dang................

I know that it isn't a heat pump because that's one of things we asked when we bought this house. We pay a gas bill in the winter.

My brother came and looked at it and said if the house felt okay inside we should be okay.
    I think you'll be surprised when the thing breaks, running like that. A service call could fix something simple that would save you down the road.

Is your brother a HVAC tech?? How can he know it's okay? Just because it felt "okay" inside the house? Your brother must not like you if he said that. I know I would tell my brother to call someone out to get it serviced. Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast