Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WOW chgd for 40 therms of NG and not even using furnace

Ok had our new Rheem furnace put in last month. Had the gas and elect co run a NG line to our house then the furnace co piped about 60 ft of pipe to the furnace and fireplace.

They ran the furnace to set it up for awhile and then left. The furnace and FP are all we have on NG so we have NOT used it at all since st up.

Got the bill this month and they billed us 40 therms ! Now I looked at the meter and the dial all the way to the let reads in 100's and it is between the zero and the 1 which I would assume is like 40 or 50 but there is NO way we used that much gas !

The needle hasnt moved since they did the install so there is no leaks also the gas co checked for leaks after they turned it on.

It doesnt seem like set up would use that much.. My neighbor has gas water heater, range, dryer and he only used 19 therms for the month, we have nothing running on gas ....

Sounds like you need to take this up with your gas provider. Probably a billing error, or someone read the meter via "remote control" (i.e. guessed at it from afar).

Might have been an estimated reading. If you don't have the type that they can read remotely, but have to physically have someone come around to read it, the gas company may use what they call an "Estimated" usage.

Somewhere on your bill it should state that the reading was estimated.

Just a thought of a possible reason.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Wondering if the meter was set to zero when installed, or if the installers
    used a lot of your ng to purge the system when installing, setting up.

Did they run the heat for a few hours when testing?

Did someone leave your fireplace valve open for a while?

what has been said plus that standing pilot in your fireplace

there is no pilot on the fireplace because the gas is shut off to the FP and even if it wasnt it would never use 40 therms in a month for the pilot, thats about 90.00 worth of gas. Note my neighbor has a gas range,dryer and water heater and he used 19 therms total for a month.

The meter bill says actual read and I do see the needle is beteween the zero and 1 on the 100ths dial so this would be 40.

They ran the furnace for an hour but again this is way too much gas even for an hour at that rate it would cost thousands of dollars a month to heat my house.

I know they bleed the lines to the fp but it wasnt open for more than a few minutes.....

Its a dial type meter and a person came and read it, I think the reading is right but the meter must not have been zeroed but they will probably not refund ???

I will call Monday am but they will probably just say pay it !

Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    there is no pilot on the fireplace because the gas is shut off to the FP and even if it wasnt it would never use 40 therms in a month for the pilot, thats about 90.00 worth of gas. Note my neighbor has a gas range,dryer and water heater and he used 19 therms total for a month.

The meter bill says actual read and I do see the needle is beteween the zero and 1 on the 100ths dial so this would be 40.

They ran the furnace for an hour but again this is way too much gas even for an hour at that rate it would cost thousands of dollars a month to heat my house.

I know they bleed the lines to the fp but it wasnt open for more than a few minutes.....

Its a dial type meter and a person came and read it, I think the reading is right but the meter must not have been zeroed but they will probably not refund ???
    Definitely I think you ought to keep the pressure up on the utility, unless you simply decide it's not worth the money. You have a plausible argument as to why the meter was not correctly zeroed when installed. I used to work in a utility company and believe meter mistakes are made all the time -- they average out OK but in business terms the utility does not see this as a business problem.

You are possibly talking to low level customer service employees, whose training is mainly on how to deny what a customer asks for -- because many customer complaints are not in fact sound. With a monopoly there are lots of people trying to dig a few extra dollars from the company, and customer satisfaction is considered less delicately when operating as a monopoly. Think of the movie Goodfellas: "F*** you, just give me my money!!!". Make that a little (OK, a lot) more polite and there you have a working philosophy<g>. You are a captive customer but at the same time the utility is a captive seller.

I say, pursue this patiently, focusing on the story of a non-zeroed meter upon installation. Keep notes of names and times of calls. Ask them what the next step should be if you continue to think they are doing you wrong. Utility employees are fallible but generally want to do the right thing, play along with them enough to go through all the steps the utility considers necessary. Expect to talk to one or two levels of supervisors after you have exhausted what the peon level employees have to say. Keep in mind your 3rd step is a politely strident letter to the Public Utility Commission, one of their roles is to represent a customer when he cannot solve an issue with a utility.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Probably a misread by either the guy that installed teh meter, or the guy that read the meter.

A meter reading is taken from right to left, but read left to right.

It the dial on the left is between 0 and 1, it is a zero.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Probably a misread by either the guy that installed teh meter, or the guy that read the meter.

A meter reading is taken from right to left, but read left to right.

It the dial on the left is between 0 and 1, it is a zero.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

beenthere; No a gas meter, at least mine, reads from right to left note the far right dial is in 1000's then the next dial to the left of that is in 10,000 then the next 100,000 etc so you see if the first dial ( 1000's dial ) has a number from 0 to 9 and the needle is between 0 and the 1 that would be 50 !

They are reading the meter right but im saying it was nOT zeroed to start with but they are claiming on my bill it was at 3 to start.....

From everything said here, best case is meter was not zeroed. Call gas
    company and get them to send you useage for the last 12 months. You
    will have to get average useage for this same period last year, and get
    gas co to go by that.

This will take many calls, and you will need to talk with spervisor. It
    can be done. Besides gas company did some of your work.

well that wont work this is a NEW install we never had gas before. Its a new meter but the dial was NOT at zero when it was installed and again with nothing using gas now it should never have used this much gas.

The only thing on ng is my furnace so you see my question here. I mean 40 therms is double the amt a water heater would use in a normal month and again we are NOT using the gas. The needle hasnt moved since they did the install

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast