Old Walk-in Compressor Starter

I am trying to repair an old walk-in refrigeration unit made by Cavalier. It has an Aspera compressor with the following numbers:

A5170A 145BG20

I'm trying to replace the starter relay (current activated, no capacitor). I know that it was made by GE, but that's all of the information that is available on the outside of the unit. It is the type that plugs on two of the three motor winding pins that exit the compressor.

Johnstone Supply sell replacements that look similar in the catalog, but I'm not sure of the exact one. Does anyone have some old books on Aspera that could provide me with some information? I they now part of Embraco and I've sent them an email, but they have not responded.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

You might want to call a pro.Or put some info in your profile than mabey we can help you out.No DIY'S
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

I'm not a DIY. Profile has been updated.

BrewBoy,

The compressor you have is a 1/4 hp R12 unit. This must be a small walk in cooler. I have the old specs at work and will check it out for you Monday.

There is a Supco solid start relay/overload push on relay that should work fine. The part number is PRO41, Johnstone number B11-924.

powell

Quote Originally Posted by BrewBoy View Post
    I'm not a DIY. Profile has been updated.
    Thank's now we know a little about you.Get your post count up and apply for
    pro membership lot of great info to be had and the EF fourms will be open
    soon.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Thanks, Powell.

It is a small walk-in (5X7X7) that is only kept at 50F and is currently working great, even in a typical Texas summer. I had to repair the starter and while it may work for many months, I think it should be replaced. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

BrewBoy,

I could not find a parts list for this compressor. It is pretty old. I would try the solid state relay.

Okay, I'll give that a shot. I've Googled every way I can think of and I come up with nothing on that compressor. Must be fairly old, however it's runs well and is fairly efficient. The starter is actually working, but I know it's on its last leg.

Thanks again.