Thread: new system

new system

hello.

we live in a 6 year old home in southern WI. the original heating/cooling system in the home was builder grade ruud, 1.5 ton a/c with 45K btu furnace. in the two years we've lived here, the a/c has leaked refrigerant to the point of icing up twice and the furnace left us cold twice. to us, this is cause to upgrade as we are not people who care to pay for repairs this often. I work on cars for a living, yet I will not own a car out of warranty. I don't like giving up my time and money for even parts, let alone labor for repair of my hvac system.

so anyways.......

we got a two estimates, the third company we had come out to look at our home never got back to me with any $$$ numbers...... after doing my own research as well as talking to people we knew that have had systems installed in the past few years we decided to go with the carrier infinity line.

heat pump 25HNA9. I believe the two stage a/c with it is 2 ton/3 ton.
    and furnace 58MVC 80K BTU.

the capacities here were recommended by the installing contractor who said he spoke to someone at carrier and this is what they recommended for my home. I do not know if they did a manual J assessment. but he did get all the room dimensions etc. from the city assessor.

at this point I'm 100% satisfied with the system and the installation. the two guys who did the install took plenty of time to talk to me. they said most leaky a/c systems like I have are due to poor install and I told them that I have read on the internet that this is the most likely root cause of my problems. they said as well that the builder grade units aren't exactly the best you can get. they seemed to do very nice work as far as I can tell as a homeowner. I saw them pressurize the system to check for leaks before charging with refrigerant and a third gentleman came out to verify proper charge via pressure and liquid line temp. subcooling I believe is the term he used for temp/pressure checking to ensure charge is perfect.

here are some pics. hopefully you guys don't point out to many less than perfect points of the install.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

It looks like you found yourself a good contractor, the only thing I can see wrong is the disconnect is too close to the condensing unit witch is an electrical code issue, and I would have installed the liquid line filter dryer comming right off the condenser but no biggie, they did nice work glad your happy.

I thought the disconnect seemed close. the old unit was so small that it was probably plenty far away when it was installed.

this contractor has a great reputation in town here. I received nothing but wonderful reviews from everyone that I talked to that had work done by them.

info I forgot to put in original post....

house is 1400 square foot ranch, 3 bedrooms, basement finishing, 900 more square feet in process.

Did you get the tin-plated copper coil? Can you give the coil model number?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Did you get the tin-plated copper coil? Can you give the coil model number?
    I honestly do not know about this. my invoice just gives the model numbers of the heat pump and furnace.

I did though take this picture of the evap coil before they installed it. sorry for the poor quality of this one. PDA picture......
    Attached Images Attached Images