Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Payne vs rest

Question Payne vs rest

I am looking to replace my 20 year old Trane forced air furnace/AC unit(propane). I was offered a Payne by one of the contractors. I don't know much about that brand, the price is good, but if the quailty and reliability are suspect, I would rather pay more for a better system. So, I'm here to solicit the opinions of the experts. House is 2000 sq.ft. in Wisconsin.

Payne is ok.
    Its a lower end Carrier.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Made by Carrier. Looks like they still have the 10 year limited warranty. http://www.payne.com/

If you trust the contractor, then I wouldn't let the brand name steer you away. If installed well the Payne should do just fine. Of course it's a lower grade product (no louvered coil protection, etc.), but you know that when you're buying the product.

Wife jhas a Payne installed in her classroom

Quote Originally Posted by Marson1 View Post
    I am looking to replace my 20 year old Trane forced air furnace/AC unit(propane). I was offered a Payne by one of the contractors. I don't know much about that brand, the price is good, but if the quailty and reliability are suspect, I would rather pay more for a better system. So, I'm here to solicit the opinions of the experts. House is 2000 sq.ft. in Wisconsin.
    at her school. No issues. Loud, though-but always cools and never a problem

What is louvered coil protection?

How loud is loud? It will be in the basement. Can I get a variable speed blower?

Louvered coil protection would be for the outdoor unit if its a heat pump or A/C.

I think the Payne is only available with a VS blower in the 90% AFUE models.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Payne and Bryant are both owned by Carrier and are all familiar in design, appearance, and performance. Carrier is in turn owned by United Technologies Corp. which produces other familiar brands like Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar etc.. again all with similar design characteristics.

This is a common business practice in the HVAC industry, with most manufacturers marketing very similar equipment under alternate names. The name plate on your ac equipment is not as important as a correct install followed by regular maintainence.

Its a 4 Ton

Quote Originally Posted by Marson1 View Post
    How loud is loud? It will be in the basement. Can I get a variable speed blower?
    w/the AH in a closet but the condenser can be heard thru a cement wall.

Its fine for a workplace, but I'd go w/a Carrier or something a little more modern for residence, but that's just me. Quite frankly, I'd look at Amana or Rheem/Ruud (good installation of course) I like Amana's bang for buck and Rheem the same, and I've heard many pros say that they're easy to work on and pretty tough.

It is hard to beat amana's warranties. But again proper installation and service are key.

From a homeowner's perspective, I had a home warranty on my home and when my old AC failed, the home warranty company wanted to replace it with a Payne. Their own subcontractor told me Payne was junk and to ask for the cash out option instead and get a better brand.

As for whether Payne is indeed inferior to other brands, I don't know, but that experience made me think it might be possible. I ended up having a Trane put in after reviewing 5 bids from 4 firms: 3 Trane bids, 1 Carrier bid and 1 Lennox bid.

nothing wrong with payne , it is basic equipment no up grades avalible the only thing differant is the condensor the air handlers and coils and furnaces are the same as carrier and bryant

Payne is a decent product. As with any HVAC product. They are designed and tested by engerneers. As long as it is installed properly it should last. We use them for customers with a limited budget. If you have the means, I would buy more mid-to-upper end equipment
    The first man gets the pearl, All the second gets is the shell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast