Ductlessor Ducted Heat Pump

86 year old house, 2 story 2300 sq ft and a unfinished basement. 1st story 1400 sq ft walls with new insulation, 2nd story 900 sq ft, walls need updated insulation. .85 climate zone, a/c not needed (Oregon location with house in perpetual shade) Winters mostly above freezing.

oil furnace with original metal ducting (non-insulated) in basement (Have not used for two years), woodstove on 1st floor, Primary heat for last 2 years. Portable electric heaters used one bedroom upstairs, master bedroom, bathroom and kitchen downstairs.

6 cords a year too much to keep up with, I want to add either a packaged Heat pump that connects to my existing ductwork, or ductless Heat pump.

Our house layout downstairs is a 8 foot long centrally located hallway that all rooms connect to (260 sq ft Den, 250 sq ft l/r, 225 sq ft m/b and 325 sq ft kitchen), with doors on each room access point.

Which system would be more efficient, ducted or unducted? My thoughts are:

Could put a ceiling minisplit with one register in the hallway that would feed to each of the rooms? Might not distribute air well enough to each room?Have a separate mini for upstairs.

Minisplit 4 way for downstairs, 3 way upstairs, would work but expensive

Ducted, packaged Heat pump that connects to central system, less expensive, less efficient?, less control for zone heating could shut off vents in rooms not used.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ocman View Post
    86 year old house, 2 story 2300 sq ft and a unfinished basement. 1st story 1400 sq ft walls with new insulation, 2nd story 900 sq ft, walls need updated insulation. .85 climate zone, a/c not needed (Oregon location with house in perpetual shade) Winters mostly above freezing.

oil furnace with original metal ducting (non-insulated) in basement (Have not used for two years), woodstove on 1st floor, Primary heat for last 2 years. Portable electric heaters used one bedroom upstairs, master bedroom, bathroom and kitchen downstairs.

6 cords a year too much to keep up with, I want to add either a packaged Heat pump that connects to my existing ductwork, or ductless Heat pump.

Our house layout downstairs is a 8 foot long centrally located hallway that all rooms connect to (260 sq ft Den, 250 sq ft l/r, 225 sq ft m/b and 325 sq ft kitchen), with doors on each room access point.

Which system would be more efficient, ducted or unducted? My thoughts are:

Could put a ceiling minisplit with one register in the hallway that would feed to each of the rooms? Might not distribute air well enough to each room?Have a separate mini for upstairs.

Minisplit 4 way for downstairs, 3 way upstairs, would work but expensive

Ducted, packaged Heat pump that connects to central system, less expensive, less efficient?, less control for zone heating could shut off vents in rooms not used.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    If it were my house I would look into a ducted system. Maybe a two stage furnace. Also I would absolutly get my ducts insulated. That would be the most efficient way to heat your home. I would also reconsider a heatpump because of the area you are in. Heatpumps are more efficient in warmer climates. It will work but will not be as efficient as a fossil fuel furnace. You could even look at 90+% furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by canesfanforlife View Post
    If it were my house I would look into a ducted system. Maybe a two stage furnace. Also I would absolutly get my ducts insulated. That would be the most efficient way to heat your home. I would also reconsider a heatpump because of the area you are in. Heatpumps are more efficient in warmer climates. It will work but will not be as efficient as a fossil fuel furnace. You could even look at 90+% furnace.
    I don't see where he posted his oil and electric rate.

Currently, I can heat my house cheaper with electric resistance heat, then oil.
    And a heat pump would be cheaper yet.

At 30°F OD temp, a heat pump can cost ½ as much as oil or gas to heat with.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Power rates

My electric power rate varies as I am on a time-peak use plan. So from 10 pm to 6am my off-peak rate is .0356 per kw, mid peak is .062 and on peak is .107 (mornings and evenings)

Oil is over $4.00 per gallon furnace is 78% efficiency.

We are very proactive in our energy use, dishwasher only after 10 pm, clothes washing on Sundays only ( off peak all day), last early spring used electric plug in heaters in occupied rooms only, two bedrooms, kitchen, den and one bath.

Our pro activeness is what makes us less stereotypical and the choice between ductless and central more difficult when factoring in the system costs initially.

With ductless, you can do spot heating like you are with your electric heaters.
    But, you may want to keep resell value in mind.
    A ducted unit may do more to maimtain/increase resell value then ductless.
    A HP can probably heat more of your house for less then what the portable heaters cost to run. Sonce your in an area that doesn't need A/C, you may be able to size the heat pump closer to your homes heat loss, and not need much in the way of aux heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?