Equipment help needed

Got a variety of quotes and need some help:

Upstairs unit, 1142 sqft, 3 BR, 1 Bath and a game room. current system is 10 year old E1RC series 3 ton York HeatPump with 3.5 ton coil and 50K BTU furnace. Compressor is grounded in the heat pump. Looking at full systems and just condenser/coil replacement

Options:

Goodman SSX16036 with CHPF4860 coil and GMV95070 furnace

Goodman GSX14036 with CHPF3642 coil, GMS80 furnace

Goodman GSC13036 with CHPF3642 coil, no furnace

Amana ASC13036 with CHPF3642 coil, no furnace

Amana ASX14036 with CHPF3642 coil, GMV95090 furnace

Trane 2TTR3036A1000A condensor with 2TXCB036BC3HCA, with or without TUD1B060A9361A furnace

Lennox XC-13 system (don;t have the model numbers) with variable speed furnace

I know I'm about to open up a can of worms, but comments?

Thanks

If you have a 50k furnace now, why are Goodman dealers quoting 70k and 90k models? Especially for an upstairs, that's a lot of heat for the space you're describing. Looks like you have a variety of options with different refrigerant types. Which contractor did you like the best? Which one did a load calculation to determine proper sizing?

Probably not replacing the furnace at this point anyway, but the 70KBTU seems to be the smallest variable speed made and runs at 50K on low speed.

No load calcs done. Had 6 guys out, everyone of them eye balled it. Since the existing system didn't have any issues that I could tell and we have no changes tot eh structure since the house was built when the original systems were put in, I guess they assume (as do I) that the original Load calc done when the house was built is valid. to be honest, this is one sticking point for me that no one has actually done one.

Not sure if I should go stick with R22 or "upgrade" to R410A either.

All these things are why it's been two weeks since my upstairs AC went out and I haven;t gotten it fixed yet. Needless to say, my wife is getting a little tired of my reluctance to pull the trigger.

Take it from someone with an oversized 2 stage furnace. Don't. Waste of money. You are pretty much buying an expensive single stage furnace that will short cycle if on a timer or run only on low with a 2 stage stat. Probably will hit the high limit on high and give problems anyway.

If you don't want to buy a brand with a properly sized 2 stage, then buy a properly sized single stage from the brands you are looking at.

A 10 year old 80% furnace probably has life left in it especially since I'm guessing from the sizing that you are in a warm climate.

Goodman: GMV95045BXB
    High fire input, 46,000
    Low fire input, 32,000
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks guys. We've pretty much nixed the furnace for now unless we go with a 16 SEER system.

Any thoughts on the various combos for reliability vs cost? I just talked with another guy now and he is suggesting a CSCF coil on Amana stuff or 2TXFHC41 on the Trane 13 SEER

I'm goig to throw the A coil vs slab coil out as a separate question, but feel free to answer here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Take it from someone with an oversized 2 stage furnace. Don't. Waste of money. You are pretty much buying an expensive single stage furnace that will short cycle if on a timer or run only on low with a 2 stage stat. Probably will hit the high limit on high and give problems anyway.

If you don't want to buy a brand with a properly sized 2 stage, then buy a properly sized single stage from the brands you are looking at.

A 10 year old 80% furnace probably has life left in it especially since I'm guessing from the sizing that you are in a warm climate.
    Why do you have an oversized 2 stage furnace? I guess you bought the house that way? I'm just curious.

Got the furnace cheap and at the time Trane didn't have a 60K version of the XV80 so I put in 80K, same as the hack builder had. Can keep the place toasty with high shut off by a toggle switch even below zero. But it was handy to have the extra on the freak morning 5 days after I installed it when we hit our coldest ever -27

I like cheap or free as well. That's how we all get equipment for our houses.
    Damaged, returned, last years models, etc... I've got a free version of what you have. Just a tad oversized, but not by much. My old 50 Janitrol would struggle to keep up when it gets below 40, which doesn't happen a lot in Texas, but it does The wife is cold natured and stayed cold. The furance came out of a house we did for lady, proper size for Manual J, but it took too long to heat that zone up for her and she made lots of noise, long story on her, very large expensive weekend home, she got a bigger single stage furance in its place. I was told she didn't give a dam how efficient or hear about Manual J. She wanted to turn it on and get warm quickly. She got what she wanted and I got a free furnace.