Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: multi zoning

Some of us have air handlers that ramp.

Infinity zoning ramps from 225 cfm per ton to 367 cfm per ton.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by njhusky View Post
    Secondly--be careful when you see the words "variable speed air handler"...i learned too late it has different meanings. An A/h that runs at a constant speed but has jumpers that control what that speed is, is considered variable speed by the industry. this is what I have with a bypass damper and it sucks. I would NEVER buy this option.
    No, your wrong.

Your air handler is not running at a constant speed.
    Today it is running at a different speed then it was yesterday.

It is delivering a constant CFM.

You may have been mislead about what it does, and how it does it.
    But, you also have the worst one for blower control.
    Virtually any other brand, could be controlled better the the one you have
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beenthere...I stand corrected for using the wrong terminology...just wanted to give another homeowner a heads up as to how the industry terminology can be misleading--and give him a heads up so he's not having the same problems I am. I think I'm more knowleadable than the average homeowner and it did not become obvious until I asked you guys lots of questions. What is second nature to pros is not for the rest of us. In fact, this is the first time that you mentioned to me that my system suck at blower control...maybe it can't be fixed and I should just have it replaced??

I'm pretty sure I told you in one of the other threads that the 16i doesn't have good blower control ability.

Main thing home owners/customers have to keep in mind.
    Is that there are salesman that will promise the sky. And unfortunately, the equipment and installers can't deliver that dream.

A good salesman will pick up on the desire of the customer, and use it to aid in the sale.
    And remind the customer that they can't perform miracles.
    An over zealous salesman will pick up on the desire of the customer, and use it to hook the customer. (and hope they don't get too many complaints).
    Contractor locator map

I would put in the zone system and be comfortable later doing the other upgrades. You will save on your energy costs to help pay for them. I would make sure that who ever you hire can and has done zone systems. I wouldn't design one for my competition unless I charged a small fortune. I have gone through my trials and trivulations with them and consider myself an expert in my area. We fix the other systems that were installed wrong.

Doing manual dampers you will need to adjust all the time and that would get very old.
    Last edited by m kilgore; 07-22-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    Its a good Life!

beenthere...you seemed to focus on the fact the system was probably wired incorrectly which may also be an issue..

so your belief is that the 16i is the problem, not the air handler?

There have been many post about the 16i not working correctly. The vast majority of them turned out to be incorrect wiring.
    The installer reads the manual for the indoor unit, and wires by its instructions.
    The 16i, must have the indoor unit wired to its instructions. Not the indoor units instructions.

I'm not a fan of the 16i.

But, its probably a good unit, for single zoned systems. Or zoned systems that the zone panel won't bring on second stage unless 2 or more zones are calling.

If comfort r isn't enabled, it probably should be on your system.
    Contractor locator map

Appreciate all your help...funny thing is, one of the people I got quotes from said they didn't like to zone the 16i, but a friend that used this installer said he was just ok, and he had to double check all his work. the guy that said it was fine did work for my father in law and he was really happy. trying to appease my wife, we picked this installer even though he was more expensive

Thanks so much for all your advice. Really appreciate it.

Alright, so now I am learning about modulating furnaces and like what I hear. Any recomendations or pieces of advice?

Could someone outline what the dream hvac system would be? Also tell me about heat pumps? I know a little about geo thermal heat pumps and intend on trying to add one in a couple years as this is a house we will likely live in for 30-50 years.

I already know I am going to have to wait on the motorized dampers so I can spend a little more on the front end and will add them down the road. We also will wait on an AC unit until I get everything figured out.

Any advice would great as I am swimming in thoughts.

A 2 stage heat pump with a VS mod furnace for aux heat.
    Contractor locator map

alright now a crash course in heat pumps......I have no clue about them.

When you say "heat pump" are you talking only about a geo thermal heat pump witch I understand can get over %300 efficency or are there other types of heat pumps worth considering?

If I am willing to spend money down the road on efficency, what is the best plan for saving money on the front end? Is getting a mod furnace on the front end, set up for multi zoning but waiting on motorized dampers and planning for a 2 stage geo thermal heat pump the best plan? Can you think of any better suggestions for limited funds on the front but wanting the best some time?

I doubt you wil will like the cost of installing a geo.
    The cost of the wells is rough.
    I was refering to an air to air heat pup, with a furnace as aux heat.
    Contractor locator map

How are the effeciancies of air to heat compared to Geo? How expensive are air to heat units? Can Air to heat be added after a regular furnace?

I am aware that for the price of a geo and wells I could get about ten thousand items off of Mcdonalds dallar menu but I will be living in this house for decades and the effency will pay it off eventually.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast