Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: multi zoning

How tall is the crown molding and trim you are having installed?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

I will be refinishing the existing myself. Baseboard is about 10 inches, crown is about 8 inches.

I have 4" baseboard and no crown.

I also have a multizone system.

Ask the A/S contractor what he will charge for his design.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-21-2008 at 12:03 AM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I think I will do that..... If I have payne/Carrier #2 install manual dampers like he said he would if I wanted, does that mean it would be set up for am/ st guy to put in thermostat controlled dampers at a later date?

Anything else I should do as far as getting my house prepared to be upgraded at a later date. Ultimatly I would like to do anything I can that is within the walls before I drywall and paint.

Are there any other facy technologies I am unaware of that you would suggest in an old house? Air exchanger?

If the A/S contractor will do the design for you. And contractor 2 will install it like the A/S contractor designs it.

You should be ok.
    Contractor locator map

Alrighty, this should be interesting. Prolly gonna get two contracors hating me tomorrow. If am/st designs, is Carrier/Payne okay to install electronic dampers or is installation of those something am/st guy should do?

btw, What is the actualy name of the dampers that are controlled by the therm so I don't sound like an idiot?

Motorized zone dampers.

You do realize of course, that by the time you pay the A/S contractor for his design. You won't have save much if any money.

Plus, if anything doesn't work right. You get finger pointing.
    Its their design.
    No, he didn't install it right.
    Its their design.
    Its their design.
    Contractor locator map

Yeah, we'll see I guess. The pointing fingers isn't good.

Maybe I will see if am/st can set it up for multi zone and wait on the Motorized zone dampers. I still think I would have to downgrade in efficency but might be worth it.

What can I expect am/st to charge for am standard for his design?

Am I being over concerned about Payne/Carrier #?. After all he did recomend multi zone. The other 2 (now 3) contractors said multi zone was bad, witch seems like the standard way of saying they suck at setting it up. Why wouldn't he say it is no good if he didn't like it. He didn't hold back on sharing his opinion on variable speed that differed from common thought.........

And now I am trying to convince myself It is okay to go with the guy I think is only 2nd best.

No idea what they would charge for doing design.
    Some companies won't design for other companies.

Never heard of anyone having buyers remorse from getting a system installed that works the way they want it to.

Heard a lot of buyers remorse for going with the second best.

I suggest your read this thread, and then make your decision.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175142
    Contractor locator map

Zoning is about comfort and control. A two story home with only one control point is some degree a compromise.

A heat load would/should show if you have any incapatible zones and if the system has adequate load diversity. example: rooms with large amounts of E/W facing glass

One thing to consider about the zoning system is how much you could save on a month to month basis.

I replaced my 30 year old A/C & furnace with a 4-zone Trane system that is a xl19i, so it has both a 2 and 4 ton compressor as well as dual stage heating, so the output can adjust to the volume needed to cool/heat different zones.

It's impossible for me to tell how much of the savings I get are from the new equipment and how much is from the zoning (we only use the upstairs for hosting guests), but my annual electric costs have dropped by ~$1000 and gas by ~$400 (we live on the top of a hill in Southern California...lots of sun, lots of wind), so my install almost pays for itself at the moment. The additional comfort we get from the zoned system is priceless however

As a homeowner that has a problematic zone system installed, I would suggest you go with someone that is 100% confident in their ability to install a zoned system

Secondly--be careful when you see the words "variable speed air handler"...i learned too late it has different meanings. An A/h that runs at a constant speed but has jumpers that control what that speed is, is considered variable speed by the industry. this is what I have with a bypass damper and it sucks. I would NEVER buy this option.

on the other hand, if you have a system that adjusts air speed by varying the actual fan speed, you will probably have more luck.

Our system has a single 2 stage compressor...it would probably work better is we had 2 distinct compressors within 2 unit

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast