Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Man's Beard

Old Man's Beard

Out on a no-cool call late Saturday afternoon. walked into the store and it was a bit warm, around 85 or so. I go up on the roof and I find this in 3 of the 4 units up there.

After I got the ice removed I found what was going on to cause this sno-cone machine to start up.

And it gets better!

I get the wire brush out and do some scrubbin', you shoulda seen the pile of fur I took off of the three coils. Should have gotten a picture of THAT pile, sorry. Anyway, it looks a little better now.

I did some checking on all 4 units up there and 2 of them have lost refrigerant somewhere, all 4 need a SERIOUS evap coil cleaning and one of them has a dead LightStat but, all 4 really need new LightStats.

We don't do any type of PM service for this retailer, all they do is wait for a catastrophic failure and call us all hot and bothered. Someone does come around every so often and change filters but, that's all they do, nothing else.
    With these expensive service calls when equipment breaks down, I am amazed that some folks just will not take on a PM service contract. With these expensive calls I'm VERY certain they'd not spend near as much if their stuff was decently cared for.

If anyone says "job security", I will f@rt in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

they probably enjoy giving their hard earned money to the electric company while shortening the life of their equipment

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    I always love it when you are walking up to the unit and there is a line of ice running across the top of the cabinet.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

A good example of "Pay me now or pay me later"
    R2B4BTU

And let me guess. They didn't go through with your recommended services (new Lightstats, add refrigerant, & clean evap. coils)?

We got cooling; that's all that matters!

Is that place a dog pound or did they really just not change their filter in months?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    And let me guess. They didn't go through with your recommended services (new Lightstats, add refrigerant, & clean evap. coils)?

We got cooling; that's all that matters!

Is that place a dog pound or did they really just not change their filter in months?
    I don't know yet if the additional work has been accepted, I just faxed it to the office that night and have to wait for the corporate clowns and bean counters to decide if they want to come off of the scratch to make these things right, as best as one can. The filters are supposed to be changed monthly by the filter changing service this site contracts with. I find many of my problems occur a day or less after the filter tech was out there, at any of this chain of stores. The guy probably was in a rush and forgot this one. This place does a fair amount of business with the resultant traffic through the front door where this unit is located and, it's located along a very dirty and busy roadway.
    I shudder to think what the others look like, the not mine ones that is.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    Quote Originally Posted by John Culpepper View Post
    I always love it when you are walking up to the unit and there is a line of ice running across the top of the cabinet.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

wow that was a nice chunk you broke off...did you take it down with you to show it off?

Nah, I just tipped it over and let it fall to the rooftop. That thing weighed more than my toolbag. Big thud and lots of big pieces. I took a picture cause it'll last longer.

how did you peel that off in one piece? i never can do that..

It was a few inches thick, which was enough to hold it together while I got my fingers behind the top edge and eased it gently out of the cabinet. Usually they only come out in small pieces, I got lucky(?) here.

it also made for a great picture :>

A SMALL number of our retail customers think it's too expensive for a maintenance contract! Man, I think that after a few of calls like these they would see the error of their ways. But it's the same each summer, and likewise in the winter. It gets really old year after year, quite annoying from my perspective. But as long as they pay, we will keep going out. The sh** really hits the fan when you tell them that spit and bubble gum can no longer keep your "perpetual" systems running any longer and they need to be replaced. I like it when you tell them that motors fail when they run out of smoke! You can lead a horse to water...!
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast