Carrier Vs Trane vs Rheem

I am currently getting bids on Carrier, Trane and Rheem. The bids on the Trane and Rheem both came in very similar with 13 - 14 SEER and 4 and 5 tons. However, I just got a bid on a Carrier on a 19 SEER and only 3 ton and the installer cliams that will cool the house with no issues. I curenlty have a 3 ton airhandler and a 3.5 ton condensor unit outside. It is very old about 15 years old. It cools the house but it takes its time and it is eating me up on my cooling bill. My concern is that all other were suggesting going up in tonage but this intaller claims the house will be fine at a 3 ton but a high SEER. Any advice??

I think there is a few post that answer that your question...
    just do search with the brand you are looking for you'll get results all the way back a few years ago.

this one is on page 2 (when I found it ).
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176488

best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by just4kiks View Post
    I am currently getting bids on Carrier, Trane and Rheem. The bids on the Trane and Rheem both came in very similar with 13 - 14 SEER and 4 and 5 tons. However, I just got a bid on a Carrier on a 19 SEER and only 3 ton and the installer cliams that will cool the house with no issues. I curenlty have a 3 ton airhandler and a 3.5 ton condensor unit outside. It is very old about 15 years old. It cools the house but it takes its time and it is eating me up on my cooling bill. My concern is that all other were suggesting going up in tonage but this intaller claims the house will be fine at a 3 ton but a high SEER. Any advice??

Did the Carrier dealer who says 3 tons is enough to do a load calculation to prove it? Likewise, did the Trane and Rheem dealers who are proposing an increase in tonnaeg to a load calculation to warrant the upsize?

They asked the size of the house in SQ FT and counting the number of air outlets. The Carrier installer also asked if any of the rooms feel hotter than others and he was the only one that told me the I do not need to change my air ducts. He said although they are not done properly to increase pressure at the furthest point of the house, the new unit will blow the air better the current 15year old model. He said he would quote us a price on the ducts but that we really don't need to change them at this time. He did climb in to the attic and inspected the ducts before advising us of that. He suggested after we have the work done to have FPL come out and get on their program to inpsect the ducts and they provide vouchers to have the ducts repaiered if they need repairing.

They asked the size of the house in SQ FT and counting the number of air outlets. The Carrier installer also asked if any of the rooms feel hotter than others and he was the only one that told me the I do not need to change my air ducts. He said although they are not done properly to increase pressure at the furthest point of the house, the new unit will blow the air better the current 15year old model. He said he would quote us a price on the ducts but that we really don't need to change them at this time. He did climb in to the attic and inspected the ducts before advising us of that. He suggested after we have the work done to have FPL come out and get on their program to inpsect the ducts and they provide vouchers to have the ducts repaiered if they need repairing.

Quote Originally Posted by just4kiks View Post
    I am currently getting bids on Carrier, Trane and Rheem. The bids on the Trane and Rheem both came in very similar with 13 - 14 SEER and 4 and 5 tons.
    4... and 5 tons?

Those are not similar quotes.

With a spread of 3 to 5 tons, somebody's gotta be wrong.

-HF

You really need to have a load calc done. You say your 3.5 takes forever to cool the house, assuming it is operating properly , I would not even consider down-sizing without a load calc to back it up, and an explanation of why current system is not keeping up, to prevent any carry-over issues to new system.

Remember, without a load calculation being performed, all your current quotes are based off a best guess. Some companies will base your replacement equipments size off of the original systems capacity. This is a poor method of determining your new systems size, but its quick, easy and free!! (shouldn't all guesses be?)

Since load calcs are time consuming, few companies will offer one as part of their "free estimates on replacements" marketing, so be prepared to pay for the service.

Just curious, how many sq ft is your house.

A load calc should be done. The Carrier guy may have done a whole house load.

A 3.5 ton condenser, on a 3 ton air handler moving 1000 CFM could be the reason your house doesn't cool well.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?