Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Let us know what they say and come up with.

And keep in mind, that just increasing return isn't enough to go from a 4 ton unit to a 5 ton unit, and get the full 5 ton capacity.

Its very well possible that your current duct system is under sized enough that your aren't getting the full 4 ton capacity from it.

They should be checking the static presure of your duct system also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

if you want your house at 75° on a 100°day you should think about a 2 speed or 2 step unit because of the amount of 100°days compared to the amount of 85°to 95°days

One other question while I'm getting quotes. 13vs14vs16 seer units. Looking at the documentation from Lennox, it appears a 13seer vs 16 seer would save me $500 over 5 years on a 3ton 1,600 cooling hours estimate. If I have two units, that would be 1K. So if a 16 seer costs 63% more, I question whether it would be worthwhile to make that investment as that additional cost would take a long time to pay for it. Any advice is appreciated.

Guys, just a status update. I also need help deciding on a 14 seer with variable speed furnace vs regular furnace. We plan on staying in this house 10 years or more. I also need help deciding on a 4" Honeywell passive media filter vs a 1" filter. I have been told by various HVAC people coming out the drops associated with the 4" filter do not make it worth it. The reason I want the 4" filter is I had allergy problems in the past which were resolved by it. I just wanted the goods/bads on the filter choice.

The original company I questioned his calculations. He totally admitted he made a mistake and redid the calcs and came up to a 4ton unti vs 5ton. The other 2 companies came in at the same. 2 tons upstairs and 4 tons downstairs. All three companies performed manual J calculations. All three companies state we need more return air flow for both units as we do not have enought. I will also say I had over a dozen companies come out and only 3 did the items listed here to help determine a hVAC contractor. I just find that very concerning.

All three companies are about the same price range. One is offering Trane, the other Lennox, and the third Amana. I'm comparing 14seer units with 2 stage furnaces.

The company I originally called I have had them do work before. I am comfortable with them and they did a good job on my other house with repairs.

The media filter is worth while. The duct may need alteration to have proper air flow.
    2 stage will provide better comfort, not great operating savings.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12