Thread: Any of the old guys still here?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Any of the old guys still here?

It's been years since I was here but I always remember how good the quality of advice was when I had some questions years ago. Now I need to replace a heatpump for the third floor with refrigerant lines that travel through finished space up to a knee wall where the AH is located. Lines can't be easily replaced and I am going from 22 to 410a. So I am going to have lines run up outside wall in downspout.

I have two questions that I am hoping somebody can answer:

Any problem with running a lineset into the basement and then back outside to run up an outside wall? The location that the outside unit needs to occupy is such that this would work best if there are no issues.

Finally, I am looking at Carrier 15 seer performance series HP and wondering if there are any disadvantages to the compact units. I see the HSPF rating is a little lower, and I assume they cost more, although I don't know if it is significant. I'm comparing 25hpa5 series to 38QRR series (two ton units).

Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Post Likes
    Just curious... why do the refrigerant lines have to be replaced in the first place? If they're the right size, in good condition, and properly cleaned/flushed, many times they can be, and are, reused.

Post Likes
    The existing unit has been through hell. Had a big leak outside and probably contaminated the lineset more than anybody realized. Multiple filter driers were replaced and now have leaks at both compressor (which is very corroded and at inside coil). Also, original line was very long.

For these reasons everybody--including me-- would be happier starting with a fresh lineset.

Any comments about the questions I had would be welcome.

Thanks

Post Likes
    No harm in going through the basement and then back out side.

Post Likes

Smile old guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ienvyyouguys View Post
    It's been years since I was here but I always remember how good the quality of advice was when I had some questions years ago. Now I need to replace a heatpump for the third floor with refrigerant lines that travel through finished space up to a knee wall where the AH is located. Lines can't be easily replaced and I am going from 22 to 410a. So I am going to have lines run up outside wall in downspout.

I have two questions that I am hoping somebody can answer:

Any problem with running a lineset into the basement and then back outside to run up an outside wall? The location that the outside unit needs to occupy is such that this would work best if there are no issues.

Finally, I am looking at Carrier 15 seer performance series HP and wondering if there are any disadvantages to the compact units. I see the HSPF rating is a little lower, and I assume they cost more, although I don't know if it is significant. I'm comparing 25hpa5 series to 38QRR series (two ton units).

Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks.
    don't worry about who is here from another time There is a bottomless well of really good ,help avail. right now. just hang around for a while & you'll be amazed at what u learn & mabe u can give some back too.......Jack

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice about the lineset.

Anybody with any knowledge about the compact (horizontal airflow) Carrier heatpumps as compared with the standard units? I know these are often used for ductless applications, but any reason not to choose one for a traditional install where space is limited?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in