New HVAC, planning for geo.

I am pulling a boiler and radiator system and replacing it with a forced air system. I am interested in a geothermal heat pump down the road but have many other projects we want to do first.

What recomendations can one make on selecting a system now to plan for geo later?

Does the efficency become less important with geo since it is so efficent?
    Should I save a few bucks and go witha 92% instead of a 95%

Does variable speed have any implications with geo?
    Is it worth the money to get a variable speed system?

I am considering zoning by floors? Good plan bad plan? does it help save much money or more for comfort control?

Is it worth going with lower quality brand and getting a geo system sooner?

Is it accurate that a geo system eliminates the need for a central air unit?

geo replacement system

[QUOTE=kjander;1930521]I am pulling a boiler and radiator system and replacing it with a forced air system. I am interested in a geothermal heat pump down the road but have many other projects we want to do first.

What recomendations can one make on selecting a system now to plan for geo later? Not sure where you live but I would look at the cost to install all the ducting sized for heat pump air volumes and maybe put in a electric furnace or even the geo unit with a electric heater till you can do the loop for the geothermal system. That way you have all the electric already run as well. The other option is with some manufacturers of geo equipment is to put a gas furnace in now with an acoil matched to a geo company's unit and install a split unit. You will just need some space for the condensor side of the unit.
    Does the efficency become less important with geo since it is so efficent?
    Should I save a few bucks and go witha 92% instead of a 95% Go with R410a
    and the efficiency will be up there already. Two stage compressor is a good idea for zoned systems.

Does variable speed have any implications with geo? Variable speed is a good idea with any forced air system. It is quieter and more energy efficient.
    Is it worth the money to get a variable speed system? as above
    I am considering zoning by floors? Good plan bad plan? does it help save much money or more for comfort control? good idea to zone a house but it is better to think of different temperate zones over just going floor by floor. It could possibly save you some money on ruuning costs but it would be installed more for comfort than energy savings.
    Is it worth going with lower quality brand and getting a geo system sooner? No, do go with a lower end brand go with one that makes alot of equipment and has been around for a while.

Is it accurate that a geo system eliminates the need for a central air unit?/QUOTE] It becomes you central air unit.
    Hope that helps. J

Who manufactures geo units with electric heaters? I am struggling to find any products that could work for that kind of application. What is the price of a geo unit (with no loop installed) compared to a 92+ variable or modulating gas furnace? comparable or still a lot more for the geo?

Does GeoComfort making anything that would be applicable it my situation, that is the equipment the company I feel is best around here uses.

Geocomfort (made by Water Furnace I think)makes a unit that would have an electric heater installed by the dealer. The system would be substantially more than a gas furnace but get a quote from your local dealer. They may offer free quotes. I would get multiple quotes as well. Why are you not just asking your local dealer alot of these questions? J

Where do you live and do you have street gas?

Minnesota, yes I have street gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kjander View Post
    Minnesota, yes I have street gas.
    This is a big part of the big picture when thinking about geothermal.

Generally speaking, in any evaluations I've done, if you have gas available it's cheaper to run a high effieciency condensing gas furnace and decent split DX cooling than to run a geo set-up.

This is influenced by utility cost of course, and I'm not familiar with the rates in your area, but when you consider the large capital investment that geo is, and the fact that it will cost you the same if not more to run than a more conventional sytem burning gas that is far cheaper up front....

Just food for thought - do your homework...