Thread: geothermal on domestic well

Post Likes

geothermal on domestic well

Is it safe or possible to install a wshp on my existing well used for domestic water? I think I saw this done about 20 years ago at a house. I am getting ready to replace my old lp furnace wiyh a heat pump, and was wondering if this was possible, or more accuratly is it safe? Can I dump the return water back down the well? Well is 700 ft deep with water at about 500ft.

Post Likes
    Was talking to a guy recently who's done boat loads of air and ground source heat pumps (he's the only guy I call for problems on my York BTW).

He said setups that weren't closed loop tended to required more maintenance depending on water quality issues that might plug the lines and heat exchanger.

I can't speak to the safety of mixing the return water back into drinking water supply, but that is a very important question IMHO.

Post Likes
    Water quality issues are one thing, the other is the cost of running the water pump and the capacity of the well. At 3 GMP per ton, that can be a lot of water from your well.

paul

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tecman View Post
    Water quality issues are one thing, the other is the cost of running the water pump and the capacity of the well. At 3 GMP per ton, that can be a lot of water from your well.

paul
    What he said! Save yourself a headache go closed loop
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Post Likes
    To pump back in to the same well will stir up the mud and discolor your water. As stated a closed loop is better but it is expensive if you do not have a pond.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in